Chapter 11 - Matthew Douglas

Stefano

I sit on the sofa, rubbing my eyes and blowing a frustrated breath. It's half-past five, and Katerina hasn't arrived. Is this girl ever on time? My eyes veer to Summer; she keeps glancing down at her new necklace. It may have been a sneaky attempt to gain some points with her on my behalf. Honestly, depending on how her father does, she may permanently remain in my care, and I want her comfortable around me.

She seems less on guard, which is a bonus. I know how tough foster families can be. Most take in children for the government incentives and not out of the goodness of their hearts. Money that should be spent on the child goes to booze instead, leaving them hungry and unclothed.

I think back to my first foster home. I was six and disorientated. I couldn't remember my name, and no face was familiar. Martha and James Trevino were anything but loving. His belt met my skin that very first night. Martha sat in the living room, sipping on her wine, watching her show, demanding that I shut the fuck up.

I was meant to take a beating and not make a sound. James was teaching me a lesson; I was never to ask for anything. Apparently, Martha wouldn't be catering to my needs, and I would get dinner when they decided. Shaking my head, I continue to stare at the Summer. Was that also her fate? Is that why she recoils?

I spent most of my nights hoping I would be placed in a home that at least would give me the basics, but my hope would diminish quickly. School was my only escape, and I despised the holidays. Although most teachers suspected abuse, only one stepped in to help. That same teacher tragically died in a car accident as she was heading to child services. I had lost the only person willing to help me, and I spent the next seven years with my head lowered.

I didn't speak to avoid confrontation. At seventeen, I finally snapped and started to fight back. Carl was my fifth foster home. That night I left him unrecognizable, and I ran away satisfied. My knuckles took a month to heal.

Meeting Jaxon helped to prepare me for what was coming, life on the cold streets of New York. They are some painful memories. I used to pity myself before the self-loathing tormented me.

My thoughts are wavered at a nerf bullet hitting my head. Glancing at Summer, she fumbles on her feet and tears well up. "I didn't mean it," her lip quivers.

Before I can settle the girl, Tommy approaches, shooting another nerf bullet to my head. "Hey, Summer, it's all good!" he muses.

Smiling, I nod at my brother. He seems to understand, and he has this soft spot for kids. Oddly enough, his immaturity makes him the favorite uncle. "Can I borrow your gun, Summer?"

She nods shyly, handing me the gun. She attempts to walk away. "Watch this," I point the gun to Tommy and unload the nerf bullets. He jumps over the sofa, taking cover. Summer holds Luciano back, and both kids start to laugh hysterically. "Shit, I'm out of bullets, find me some more," I encourage the kids.

Jumping to his feet, Tommy grins and unloads his full nerf gun on me. "Now that's how you win, children," he muses.

"Grown-ass men playing with Nerf guns?!" Katerina screeches, throwing her bag to the side. She halts at the sound of Jaz's voice.

"Are you ever on time?" Jaz challenges.

"I'm sorry!" Squinting her eyes, she reminds Jaz, "I told you after class. I had a meeting with the theoretical physicist and university Director."

Nodding, Jaz defeatedly slumps her shoulders. "Of course, sorry I forgot. How did it go?"

"Good, I'm taking on more classes this summer, and hopefully, I will get a permanent position at the university and funding for research," she announces.