Sixty-seven

It was official.

I was Fred and Roxi's adoptive mum.

That afternoon when George and I got home, we celebrated it with some cake that Inez had baked with some help from Roxanne and Leah.

The day after, George went to work and dropped the girls off at school after I had helped Leah with her uniform.

That day, I just relaxed at home until I saw a stretch mark above my belly button and immediately I called Inez, crying and everything because my hormones were fucking me up.

She came over, made some popcorn and we watched a film together.

"Dove and I are considering IVF." She said out of the blue, causing me to look at her in surprise.

I grabbed the remote and paused the film before I looked at her again.

"Really?"

"Yeah." She nodded. "We're kind of arguing at the moment about which one of us should be the pregnant one. I think I'll let her get the sperm. I can't handle stretch marks."

I stared at her and slowly ate some popcorns while she looked at me apologetically.

"But they are sexy." She said. "I just don't like them on me."

"Because that helps me feel better about mine."

"Oh c'mon, Dahlia." She laughed. "You can barely even see it. It's just a tiny one. You've been really great at taking care of your skin, I'll give you that."

"Thanks." I muttered, leaning my head against her shoulder. "I hate being pregnant, Inez. I want them out."

"Yeah?" She asked, patting my head. "Five more weeks, babe. You can do it. It's just five weeks."

"Five more weeks of rib pain, contractions that aren't even real, heartburn, headaches..." I let out a groan. "Do you hate Dove or something, wanting her to be pregnant?"

Inez laughed.

"And also, my hormones are going really crazy right now..."

"Right now?" She asked. "You've been emotional for all seven months."

"Shut up!" I whined. "In the horny way... everything George does just makes me want to get on my knees and suck his fucking dick but apparently he doesn't want to ask his pregnant wife to get on her knees for him, even if he isn't asking!"

Inez laughed and looked at me as I talked.

"Oh, and have you seen his hair?" I asked. "It's so soft and fluffy at the moment and it's so red and I love it so much. It's so long and I just love running my hands through it and wake up to him with his face hidden by his hair. I just... I haven't had sex in such a long time, Inez. It's been months."

"Then why don't you have sex?"

"Because it's unsexy! I've got a belly the size of two watermelons, I can't even turn over without being in pain."

Inez wrapped an arm around me and pulled me close, and I laid down, my head in her lap and my feet up on the armrest which actually felt amazing.

Inez brushed her fingers into my hair as she looked down at me.

"You know... sex can help get you into labour."

"I'm not having sex." I said. "I love sex and I miss it, but not with a twin belly. That's... I wouldn't feel comfortable with that."

"Okay."

"You know what I also hate?" I asked. "That I can't even pick Leah up anymore. I mean... she's six but she still loves being picked up and I can't do that. She's my little girl and I can't pick her up and now
I'm crying again. Great."

"Oh babe." Inez laughed. "Why don't you go upstairs and take a nap?"

"But I'm not tired!"

She rolled her eyes.

"You sound like a toddler."

With a groan, I sat up but immediately laid back down, groaning in pain.

"Maybe be careful, yeah?"

"Shut up." I muttered, this time sitting up carefully, then standing.

"I'll finish the film alone if that's alright." Inez said while I walked towards the door.

"That's fine." I muttered.

I left the living room and walked up the stairs and into the bedroom.

I crawled into bed and surprisingly I fell asleep on top of the covers only about a minute after my body touched them.

When I woke up again, it was to the sound of a door creaking.

I opened my eyes and yawned, smiling when I saw George walk through the door.

"Hi." I said weakly, stretching my arms above my head.

"Hey." He smiled back, undoing the buttons in his shirt. "Inez told me you've been asleep since three."

I hummed.

"I might have had a small meltdown in front of her and she told me to go to bed." I turned my head and I noticed it was now dark outside. "What time is it?"

"Well, I've just put the girls to bed. I decided to let you sleep once we got home, and Inez went home after she ate the rest of the popcorn you two had made."

I watched George as he walked towards the wardrobe and entered to get undressed.

"You had a meltdown, you said?" He asked and walked back into the room once he was only wearing underwear. "Was it amusing?"

I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up." I muttered. "I got emotional over still being pregnant. Then I cried about missing sex and thinking that everything you do is sexy..."

I looked at him, then groaned.

"See? You are literally just standing there and I immediately want to have sex with you."

"Are you sure that's the hormones?" He asked. "You've always been very horny."

"Can you blame me when my husband looks like a fucking sex god?!"

George walked over to the bed and leaned down over me, placing a hand on either side of me as he kissed me.

"I knew marrying you was the right decision." He said. "You're good for my ego."

"Shove off."

"C'mon, get off the bed, love." He said. "I'm not sleeping on the covers."

"Fine." I made a face at him as I sat up and slowly got off the bed. "I have to pee anyways."

I ran my hand along his arm as I walked past him, and made my way into the bathroom.

After doing my business, I walked into the wardrobe and got dressed into the shirt I always wore to bed.

George had made the bed and was now waiting for me.

I stopped in the doorway between the wardrobe and the bedroom, and looked at him with a sigh.

"You know what I hate?"

"What?" He asked with a smile.

"I hate shaving."

"Okay?" He questioned. "Then don't."

"But I also hate my body hair." I said. "Especially on my legs and my vagina. It's the worst."

I walked towards the bed.

"I also hate that it is expected for women to shave." I said, getting into bed with him.

I hooked an arm over his stomach and tangled my legs with his, trying to get comfortable, and George wrapped an arm over my shoulders.

"I think I want laser treatment to remove the hair on my legs." I said, closing my eyes while George made sure the duvet covered the both of us.

"Okay."