Seventy-two

"Hi Dahlia." Meg smiled when she entered the room. "So it's finally happening, huh?"

"It's going a little slow though." I said, and she chuckled.

"Listen, they checked you when you got in. The bleeding is not anything serious. It can happen sometimes, but you do not need to worry about it."

"Oh thank god." I breathed.

"I do want to do a quick ultrasound. The last time I saw you, the boy was breeched and I just want to see if he's turned around or what."

She walked over to where the ultrasound machine stood and rolled it over to the bed.

"Do you need help rolling onto your side?" She asked as she got the machine ready.

"I don't know. Probably." I tried to roll onto my stomach and ended up being helped by both Meg and George.

I looked up the screen when she pressed the transducer to the side of my stomach to see the position of our boy.

"He's still breeched, isn't he?" I asked and looked at the screen.

"It looks like it." Meg nodded. "Do you still want to try a vaginal birth?"

I nodded.

"I really don't like the idea of a c-section."

"That's fine." She smiled. "We will have to move you to an operating room for the delivery but it's only in case we need to do an emergency c-section, yeah?"

I nodded and after she turned off the machine, George helped me to lie on my back again.

Then I heard the click of a camera and George and I both looked at Fred who stood there with the camera he had brought.

"What?" He asked. "I want to catch these moments. You're gonna regret it if I don't."

"How are you feeling about the twins going to the NICU when they're born?"
Meg asked me, tilting her head.

"I dunno. I know it's to help them survive but I don't like the idea of now being able to just hold them."

"I can't promise you anything but it really depends on how they're feeling when they come out. You may be able to hold them for a few seconds before we have to move them."

I nodded, letting out a sigh.

"I get that."

"But it's not like they have to be there for weeks, right?" George asked.

"Hopefully not. It really all comes down to whether or not they've got an infection or not." Meg told him. "But it could take all from hours to weeks for them to be ready to leave the NICU again."

"Okay..." I said quietly, and Meg sent me a reassuring smile.

"I'm gonna come back in about ten minutes and check how dilated you are, okay?" She asked and when I nodded, she smiled again as she walked out of the room.

"So... what are you naming them?" Fred asked. "You haven't told us that."

"Well you aren't telling us your name for your son either." I said with a shrug.

Fred scoffed.

"You know, Georgia spent a week in the NICU when she was born and she was a single pregnancy."

George stood up.

"Thank you, Freddie. That's very comforting to know."

"Wha— I was just telling you."

I reached for my phone on the nightstand and looked at it.

It was around eight at night. We had been here for two hours and... well I had been in labour all day without even realising, because it had been back labour and I hadn't felt anything in my stomach or my pelvis before we ate lunch.

"I'm gonna text Inez." I said before I did, updating her on what was happening. "How much longer do you think it'll be before I have to push?"

"Depends on how dilated you are." Fred said. "I can check... I know how."

"Fred!" George exclaimed. "You did not just—"

"I was joking!" Fred laughed. "I did the same with El."

"She's your wife." I said. "It's a bit more normal to ask her about looking at her vagina."

"You're right." He grinned. "Maybe I should ask her when I get home."

"Jesus you're annoying right now." I told him. "Go sit on the sofa. Think about what you've done."

"I'm not your child!" He laughed. "Bloody hell, I knew who you were when you were twelve. You were a little child and I was an adult. If anything, you're my child."

I sighed.

"Looks like you're about to be a granddad, then."

Meg ended up coming back, and told me I was three centimetres dilated which only caused me to sigh.

Three centimetres was a long way from ten which meant I wasn't gonna be pushing anytime soon.

"And you're feeling alright?" Meg asked. "You can't feel the contractions?"

"I can feel the tightness." I told her. "But I can't feel any pain."

"That's good." She smiled. "Let me know if it changes, yeah?"

I was in labour for the rest of the night. I ended up sleeping from nine and until midnight when Meg came in to see how dilated I was.

"Nine centimetres." She said and looked at me with a smile. "That means it's almost time to push. We're gonna go and get the room ready and then we'll roll you in there to deliver your babies."

When Meg left again, I looked at George who leaned back in the chair, smiling from ear to ear.

"Can I at least now know what you're naming them?" Fred asked from over on the sofa.

"Liam and Amelia." I said.

"Oh really?" He smiled. "That's some cute names, I'll give you that. I'd like to tell you the name of El and I's son but she'd kill me. She likes surprises."

"You probably suggested to name him something ridiculous like Joe."

"Joe?" Fred asked. "Now what's wrong with Joe?"

"Well it's an okay name for a sixty-year-old man but for a baby born in two-thousand and sixteen? No."

Fred rolled his eyes.

"Please don't tell me you're actually naming your child Joe." George said and Fred shook his head.

"No... no. I decided the name and Eloise agreed but she wouldn't agree to Joe."

"You suggested Joe, didn't you?" I asked and he gasped dramatically.

"Georgia and Joe sounds amazing together!" He said. "Just like Elsie and Leah, Fred and Roxanne. Liam and Amelia!"

"Lloyd and Vivian." George nodded. "We don't see them often, do we?"

"Babe, they're at Hogwarts." I said and placed a hand on George's arm to get him to look at me. "Well, not Vivian but Lloyd is in his fourth year."

"Do you know if they'll want more?" Fred asked, looking at George and I.

"Alicia does but Lee does not." George said. "He says he doesn't want to have another version of the Weasleys."

"Well, we basically have another version." I said. "With these twins, we'll have six."

"And maybe—"

"George, we're not having more after this."