Seventy-nine

For the next month, there was no sign of Leah or my father anywhere.

George went to his brothers birthday on the first of March but I stayed home, too depressed to leave the house.

He brought Roxi and the twins so I could have some time to myself.

That was also the first time his family would meet the twins.

Today was March tenth, exactly a month since Leah went missing. My dad hasn't contacted me or anything but we've all been missing for her.

Everyone has been out searching while I tried to track my dad down from home.

Today, I forced myself out of bed the second George had left to drop Roxanne off at school.

I checked on Amelia and Liam who slept, and then got dressed before I left the room.

I made my way towards the stairs, but I stopped when I noticed Leah's door being open.

I hadn't stepped into it since that night I went looking for her around the house, but now, I found myself approaching the room.

I pushed the door fully open and I looked at her room.

Someone had been sitting on the bed, most likely George.

He came out of the room a few weeks ago, an unreadable look on his face and it had been obvious to me that he had been crying.

I walked over to the bed and sat down, looking around.

I ran my hand over the sheet on her bed, smiling at the duvet cover.

It was yellow with polka dots. She's always loved polka dots.

She even had a phase one time where she didn't want to wear anything but polka dots.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you from him." I whispered as I grabbed her pillow and hugged it close to my chest.

I stayed in her room, hugging the pillow until I heard George come home.

He was taking time off work due to all of this and I was on maternity leave for the next five months.

"Dia?!" George called as I heard him on the stairs.

He showed up in the doorway, stopping when he saw me.

"I miss her." I said, looking at him and he pushed himself away from the doorway, walking over to me.

He sat down next to me.

"What do we do when Fred and Elsie get home for easter?" I asked. "We haven't told them that Leah is missing."

"I don't know." He sighed, and I bit my lip as I leaned my head against his shoulder.

Another two weeks passed with no sign of my daughter. I kept trying to find the location of my dad, visiting my mum multiple times, yelling at her to tell me where he was.

I was sure she knew something, but she just wasn't telling me.

Right now, I was knocking on her door again and she opened it with a sigh.

"Dahlia I don't know where—"

"Yes you do." I said and pushed past her. "You've been married to him for forty-five years. You always knew what he was doing. Everything... just apart from one thing, eh?"

"Dahlia..."

"Mum please. My daughter has been missing for six weeks, dad has her and you know what he's capable of."