Seventy-eight

That night, everyone were out looking for Leah, including Henry and Nadine.

George and I were at home. He was in the entrance hall with the twins and I was outside in the garden, looking for her as if she was just playing hide and seek, waiting to be found.

It was completely dark outside. It was probably ten at night and it was also cold outside during to it being February.

My arms were wrapped tightly around myself and as I wore shoes, I didn't wear a jacket.

The pool was close to frozen over due to how cold it had been lately and as I walked around it, I stared at it and remembered when she threw George's clothes in here.

"Leah!" I called out into the dark. I didn't know why I expected an answer back.

It was not like she was here.

"Dia!"

I turned around quickly, seeing George stand in the doorway into the entrance hall.

"Come inside. It's freezing out!"

He walked back in, and I sighed, wiping my cheeks from the tears. I looked around once more before making my way towards the open door.

"Why aren't you doing anything?"

George sighed at my question and looked up at me from where he sat on the sofa, a glass of whiskey in his hand.

"We can't do anything, Dahlia. I don't know what you want from me."

"I want you to show some emotion!" I exclaimed. "Because right now, I can't see if you actually care or not!"

He stared at me, then he shook his head.

"I can't believe you just said that."

"George—"

"I get that you gave birth to Leah, but she's my child too. I love that girl like I love Fred and Roxi and for you to stand there and act like I don't care..."

I ran my hand through my hair.

"You're just sitting there with your fucking whiskey while I'm outside looking—"

"You shouldn't even be outside!" He snapped. "You're supposed to be resting, Dahlia! What do you think you'll find? I'm pretty sure Leah isn't hiding around in the fucking bushes!"

I didn't answer, and he looked down at his glass, downing the rest of it before he got up to get a refill.

"Will you please stop drinking?" I asked. "Please just..."

George looked at me.

"Please just what? I'm not allowed to drink anymore?"

I just looked at him and then turned to look at the twins who were laying in their shared bassinet down here in the entrance hall once Amelia started crying.

I walked over to the bassinet and picked her up before she could wake Liam up as well.

"It's okay." I whispered, laying her against my shoulder, gently patting her back.

I learned in the hospital that that was a quick way to calm her down, and it worked this time as well.

She wasn't hungry, and she didn't need her diaper changed. She just needed to be held.

"You're okay." I whispered, leaning my head against hers.

I looked at George again who was leaning against the counter, drinking out of the glass of whiskey.

"I know she's not out there." I said, gesturing towards the garden. "But... I can't just sit here while he's got her. He's got my little girl..."

I teared up again and sighed, not wanting to continue crying.

"Fuck..." George cursed and when I looked at him, he put his glass down and stormed out of the room, a sniff leaving him.

"George!" I called. "Come back here, please."

I could hear him in the bathroom, the door was open and I could hear the water splashing.

I didn't want to leave the room with Liam sleeping.

I didn't want to take my eyes off either of them... just like I wasn't too fond on taking my eyes off Roxi but she wanted to sleep in her room, so we had made sure there was absolutely no way anyone could access her room from the outside.

George walked back into the room and leaned against the wall as he looked at me, his eyes red and full of tears.

He shrugged.

"You're not the only one who's scared out of your mind." He said while I put Amelia down next to Liam. "For the past three years, I've waken Leah up, made her breakfast and asked her about her day. I've been just as much of a parent as you have and more than fucking Malcolm has but you always makes me feel like I'm not a parent to her or Elsie."

I hid my face for a moment.

"I know that they have a dad, I know it's a different situation than the one with Fred and Roxi. Their mother left them and you adopted them, and Malcolm is present in Elsie and Leah's lives but that doesn't mean I'm not their parent as well..."

"I never said you weren't their parent." I said, falling into a series of sobs. "And this isn't a conversation to have when Leah has been fucking kidnapped by my dad!"

A silence fell over the room before George walked over to me and wrapped his arms around me, bringing me into a tight hug.

"We're gonna get her back." He whispered. "And I'm going to fucking kill him if he hurt a hair on her head."

I closed my eyes, burying my face in his chest.

"I'm so scared." I cried, clenching the back of his shirt.

"I know." He whispered against my hair. "I am too."

I tilted my head back to look up at him and he rested his forehead against mine.

"She's going to be okay." He whispered, pressing a kiss to my lips. "We are going to get her back."

I nodded.

"Okay." I said quietly before resting my head against his chest.

We hugged until Liam started crying, causing Amelia to start again as well.

George let go of me and walked over to pick up Liam while I picked up Amelia.

"He needs his diaper changed." George told me before walking up the stairs.

My eyes followed him until I no longer could see him anymore and then I looked at Amelia as I rocked her in my arms.

"I love you very much." I said softly as I walked over to sit in the armchair. "I'm not very good at protecting my kids... but I promise I'll do better."

She continued to cry, and I sighed as I looked into the room, noticing the time.

That's why she wasn't stopping.

It was time for their feeding.

As I breastfed Amelia, I stared down at her. I didn't take my eyes off of her and as I studied her small face, and the way her eyes looked up at me, I silently started crying again.

She looked so much like Leah did when she was a baby and it hurt.

For a moment, it was almost like I convinced myself that Leah was a baby again and that she was the baby in my arms, but no...

Leah was missing, and I didn't know if I was getting her back.