13 • runaway with me

A car horn honking woke Melody and JJ up

A car horn honking woke Melody and JJ up. She jumped up and ran to the window. Kie was out there and Melody yelled for her to knock it off, afraid that it might make her stepdad angry. "We'll be down in a second!" Melody called out to her as her and JJ scrambled to get ready as soon as they possibly could. They promised Heyward that they'd help out today since he was low on workers. But from the night they had, they could've slept the whole day without waking up once.

Melody tiptoed down the hall, hearing noises in the kitchen. She assumed it was her stepdad so her and JJ jetted out. "Melody wait!" She heard him yell after her but they ignored it and ran straight to Kie's car, hand in hand. The hopped in and Kie took off. Melody looked out the window to see her stepdad staring at the car and shaking his head. His arms crossed. She turned back around to greet Kie and Pope. "Hey guys!"

John B has been missing from the group for 2 days. So she wasn't surprised that he wasn't there today like he was supposed to be. The others weren't worried though, not even a little. Neither was Melody but that was only because he has texted her on both days to ensure that he was fine.

The finally arrived to Pope's family store and walked in. Heyward immediately set them to work to do stuff. Kie was ordered to work the register while Melody stocked stuff nearby. JJ was supposed to be doing who knows what but he really was just standing around and talking. "What was your thought process with using your head?" JJ stated out of nowhere, causing Melody to laugh.

"You headbutted him?" She asked, oddly proud of him.

Pope nodded at her. "I don't know, man. I just kind of acted off instinct. I was a cornered animal."

Kie laughed, "Yea.."

Heyward suddenly walked in on the group, looking pretty serious as he pointed behind him. "Hey, Pope, someone here to see you."

Shoupe walked in and the four teens tensed. "Evening, Officer." Pope asked, nervously.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property." Shoupe said, walking to him but he turned to look at JJ who mouthed something to him that Melody didn't catch.

"What?" Heyward asked, shocked that his straight A son was getting arrested.

Shoupe inched closer, pulling his handcuffs out. "Hands where I can see 'em." Melody and Kie rushed forward.  "Young ladies, out of my way."

"Whoa. Shoupe, what'd he do?" Heyward asked.

"Take a look at the warrant, Heyward." Shoupe said as he placed the metal cuffs around Pope's wrist.

"Hey! You're just gonna arrest my boy?"

"Be careful!"

"He didn't do it!"

"Shoupe stop!" Melody yelled.

"Shoupe, are you listening?"

The cop ignored everyone's yelled and just spoke to Pope, speaking over everyone. "Everything you say can and will be held against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney."