15 • skeeter

The next day, Melody was walking around her empty house

The next day, Melody was walking around her empty house. John B had texted her and told her that he was coming over so she was cleaning up some after her stepdad destroyed the place with pipes and beer bottles. This was going to be the first time she saw John B since he woke up in the hospital and she felt like she needed to make the house presentable for him.

She heard the doorknob twist and he entered the house. They have never been one to knock when they went over to the others house.

She ran to him, jumping in his arms. "I'm so glad you're okay!" She told him. John B wrapped his arms around her but with one of them being in a cast, it was a little hard.

"You can't get rid of me that easily, Mel." He joked, letting go of her to shut the door behind him. They plopped down on the now clean sofa and faced each other. "Sarah told me about the little spat you two had when the ambulance showed up." He teased her, his eyes twinkling.

She laughed. "Oh you mean when I told her to get over herself?"

He nodded his head, "Yep, that's exactly what I mean."

Melody shrugged, "What I said might've been harsh but you two have only been close for a week, tops. We've been best friends almost our entire lives, JB. I had to be there for you."

John B sat quietly, his eyes watering. "Mel, I really am sorry for not being there for you when you got hurt those two times. I wish I could've been there but-" he hesitated, looking at her sadly. "But you've got JJ now. And it's his turn to protect you."

Melody nodded, "And it's your turn to protect Sarah now." She started to fiddle with her fingers.

"What is it?" He asked her.

She shook her head and said, "Nothing."

"I know you, Mel. You only do that when somethings wrong." John B said, pointing to her hands.