24 • focus

The four teens drove to the dock, JJ babying Mel because of her injuries even though she is certain that JJ's injuries are worse. She felt better than which was good but when JJ asked about what Rafe said, she got a little uncomfortable. She told her about the slight past they had. And she means slight because there wasn't much to tell. About a year before, she had gotten drunk at one of the keggers threw on the boneyard and didn't even really know who he was at the time. Just that he was attractive, one thing led to the next and she had a very unsatisfying one night stand that he holds over head all of the time as if it were special. If only he knew how she really felt, he probably wouldn't have such a huge ego.

JJ didn't like the fact that she had slept with Rafe before but it was in the past and no changing it. He seemed to care even less about the fact when she mention the unsatisfied part and they both knew just how satisfied she is from JJ. But after the other two friends made a few gagging sounds from the couple's inappropriate jokes, they finally made it to the dock and got the boat ready in the water. Pope put the gas in it and Melody made sure the two goodie boxes were in it. They waited awhile and no John B popped up so Melody and Kie started to get antsy. Especially when the heard the distant police sirens.

"Dude, where is he?" Kie exclaimed.

"Give him a second. He'll be here." Pope stated.

"He's coming. He'll be fine." JJ assured.

A police car pulled up, abruptly stopping.

"JJ!" Kie called out to him.

JJ looked up and noticed the police vehicle. "Hey, yeah. Get back on the boat. Untie it."

Melody made no effort to get on the boat because something told her this was her newly discovered half brother. The biggest smile she had all day stretched on her face as she saw said brunette step out of the police car, pulling his backpack over his shoulders.

"Shit."

"Wait. No way!"

"No f'ing way."

"John B!" Melody exclaimed excitedly when she saw him, instantly running into his arms. He smiled when he saw her and caught her, lifting her up slightly. She hissed in pain and he instantly sat her down. 

He noticed the bruise on her cheek, knowing there was probably more damage that he couldn't see. His eyes widened. "What happened, Mel?"

She shook her head, a smile still on her face. "It's not important  I'm glad you're here, JB!"

The two walked back to the dock and Kie was still grinning exclaiming, "You've gotta be kidding me."

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin." JB answered about the police car.

"Okay. That's believable. I'll buy that for now." She shook her head, giving him a hug.

JJ tossed the keys to the boat to John B as he hopped off. "It wasn't easy, bro, but I got the Phantom for you, and she runs like she was made yesterday. You ready to go?"

"Where's Sarah?"  John B asked frantically.

"She's not with you?"

"No, we got separated in the swamp. She said she'd meet me here."

"No, we haven't seen her, man"

"Okay, well, I'm not leaving without her."

Melody stepped up to her best friend. "John B! I love you so much and definitely want you to stay but I got my ass handed to me to get you this damn boat so you can ride off into the sunset. YOU! I don't give a damn about her. Over my dead body will you stay here and get arrested! She won't get in trouble if she stays here. You will!" Tears threatened to put out of her eyes as she talked, not ready to let her best friend go but knowing it is the only option.