19 • melody maybank

JJ had walked quite the distance before Melody finally caught up to him

JJ had walked quite the distance before Melody finally caught up to him. "JJ!" She called out to him. The blonde turned around in an instant and looked at her, shocked.

"I thought you weren't coming." He stated, "It took you so damn long."

Melody gave him a soft smile. "Only because I was ripping them a new one." She stepped closer to him and held his cheek with her hand. "You didn't deserve that, J."

He looked down avoiding her eyes. "I did though, Mel." He hesitated but gripped her hand and moved it away from his face. "I don't deserve you. Like John B said, I'm going to be just like my dad." His eyes grew red as tears threatened to escape them. "And I- I don't want to hurt you."

Melody feared for a second that he was going to break up with her but she refused to let him. She also knew that he is nothing like the deadbeat that shares his DNA. She shook her head. "You're nothing like your dad, JJ. Your dad doesn't know how to love someone. You do. You prove it to me every single day. You prove it to the group. They're just being stupid and don't know what they're talking about."

JJ sighed and pulled her in for a hug. His arms wrapped tightly around her and he rested his chin on the top of her head. "You're too good for me, Mel. I don't want to ruin you."

"You could never do such a thing." She told him, peaking up to look at him. "We're in this together, J. Forever and always, remember?"

He chuckled softly. "Yea, I remember. I love you, Melody Boudreaux."

She couldn't help the smile that appeared on her lips at hearing him say those five words. She doesn't think that she'd ever get used to hearing them come from his velvet voice directed to her. "And I love you, JJ Maybank."

He ducked his head down and placed a tender kiss on her lips before pulling away from her. "But I need to go see him and I need to do it alone. I'll see you soon, okay? You should go back to the others and keep them in check." He softly joked.

Melody nodded her head, "Just promise me that you won't do something stupid. I don't want you to get hurt."

JJ had a mischievous grin on his face as he started to walk away from her backwards, "I can't make any promises. Stupid is my middle name." He waved at her as he took off again, leaving her there in the road. Melody sighed and looked around. She still wasn't in a good neighborhood but she didn't want to keep walking anymore so she sat on a fallen tree on the side of the road.

Just as she hoped, the Twinkie came down the road, slowing down to a stop when they saw her. John B's head peaked out of the window, "Need a lift?"