"What are you doing here?" (Intermission 2012)

As a bright Saturday morning greeted the Smith household, we see John Smith currently behind the stove of his kitchen whistling a tune as he wore his 'Best Dad in the World' apron.

It's been a few months since the battle of New York and the Godfather was now working together with S.H.I.E.L.D. and Shadow in helping maintain peace around the world....

At least, that was his side-job so to speak, seeing as he was a teacher and fulltime--father, adding international spy to that list was just the topping on the cake it seemed.

Being preoccupied preparing breakfast, the former assassin almost didn't notice his eldest daughter, Nikki, enter the kitchen.

Almost...

"Hey, Nik, morning," John's voice startled the girl whom jumped.

"Oh, morning dad," Nikki responded, her mood contrasting with the beautiful weather outside.

"Hey, what's wrong?" John asked her, putting the scrambled eggs he prepared into the plates that currently contained bacon and toast.

"Nothing," Nikki said as she played with her food absentmindedly after John placed her plate in front of her.

John gave her a knowing look, "Nikki, what's wrong? You've been under the dumps since I came back from my trip. Sweetheart, talk to me..."

Nikki simply sighed and dropped the piece of bacon she was playing with, "Dad...do you remember the alien invasion that happened a few months ago?"

John gulped, "How could I forget...I wasn't here to protect you girls..."

"See, that's the thing, Dad...if you're so busy protecting us...who's gonna protect you?" Nikki states, looking into his eyes, "I know you were out of New York when the invasion happened, but...all I could keep thinking about when it was happening was what would've happened to you if you were here trying to protect us...."

"Nikki," John knelt down next to his daughter as she continued to stare at him, "Is this what's been on your mind all this time?"

Nikki nodded, teary eyed, "I know...it's stupid, but--"

"Sweetie," John immediately hugged her, his mind reeling back to what actually happened back during the invasion...

He couldn't very well tell his daughter that he was actually in New York at the time...or that he was the one that managed to close the portal.

"Yay! Hugs!" Nellie's voice suddenly chimes and John separates from Nikki to see his younger daughter barreling towards them.

She throws herself at her father whom catches her and laughs heartily as he hugs her back.

"Good morning Monkey!" John cheers as he attacks his daughter's cheeks with several kisses.

Nellie giggles, "Daddy stop! That tickles!"

John chuckles as he places his daughter down and holds both her and Nikki's cheeks, "Girls...I want to tell you something, okay? No matter what ever happens in the future....I will always protect you, okay?" he makes a funny face at Nellie now, "Even if I have to fight a mad Titan from outer space!"

Nikki and Nellie both giggle, Nikki's being slightly teary as she sniffled.

"Daddy you're funny," Nellie giggles as she hugs him and John chuckles as he lifts her up and places a hand on Nikki's shoulder.

"We clear?" John asks her, a brow raised.

"Yes sir," Nikki salutes him playfully and her father ruffles her hair.