Chapter 13

Eugeo thought it was incredible how different elves acted with one another compared to humans. As he rode behind Kirito and Klein, he listened to their idle conversation, and despite the matter of the topic being quite serious, there was a sense of trust in both of their demeanours.

"You mentioned that Sinon isn't with them... do you seriously not know why?" Kirito asked.

"Asuna told me to get you straight away, she wouldn't explain anything else. I've no doubt this is something really important," Klein replied, and he reached into his pocket, pulling out a slightly crinkled paper, "The letter she wrote seems rushed, and all she said was to get you and come to the refuge."

Eugeo felt himself frowning, even though he had never been able to listen in on the war discussions, he had a terrible feeling that this had something to do with Quinella. She always hated the fact Del Bar had a reputation for getting involved with the elves- hell, the princess of Del Bar had elven blood, something like that couldn't so easily be hidden.

Eugeo remembers a conversation he had with Alice not so long ago, where she mentioned the fact Quinella knew about Del Bar's secret way before they revealed it to the public. According to Alice, Quinella had eyes and ears all over the west side of the continent, nothing happened without her knowing.

And yet... here was Eugeo, on the run with two elves.

Shaking his head slightly, he looked back at his two travelling companions. They were an odd pair, but Eugeo hoped he would be able to gain their trust. Especially Kirito's, after having so rudely barged into his home and asking him to run away together...

Eugeo flushed, only now realising how straightforward he had been when requesting that of Kirito. The half-elf would have most likely refused had it not been for Klein and the news he had bought with him, Eugeo was foolish but very lucky.

There was a sudden noise, pulling Eugeo from his thoughts. It echoed through the dense forest, and with only the moon as their source of light, Eugeo couldn't see where exactly the sound was coming from. It had sounded like something, or someone, had fallen or tripped. There was no mistaking it, Eugeo had grown remarkably familiar with the sound of body slamming the ground (Fanatio's training sessions were always quite strenuous).

Kirito and Klein had stopped and begun surveying the area as well, moving backwards so the three were closer together.

"I wasn't the only one who heard that, right?" Klein whispered, his head whipping round in various directions.

"No..." Kirito started, "Is someone there?" He called out into the darkness.

Eugeo quickly pulled his hood over his head, in some kind of attempt to keep himself hidden if what was out there was a royal guard. Though it was unlikely, Klein had mentioned that this was the path the elves would take when passing through Katolis, only they knew it was there, and it was safe from humans.

The sound of footsteps caused Eugeo to freeze, and briefly, he met Kirito's gaze, a conversation was spoken without words. Kirito knew that if Eugeo was caught he would be punished greatly, and it would most likely get Kirito and Klein in trouble as well. Eugeo wished that he hadn't gotten others in danger by doing this, but... the feeling of being free was undoubtedly exhilarating.

"Wait! Wait! I'm not here to cause trouble!" A voice called, and a figure started to emerge from the shadows.

The voice was feminine, and Eugeo had to fight back the rush of emotions that began to well up in his chest. He knew that voice.

Eugeo let his body act on its own, and he dismounted Rose as quick as he could, already feeling comfort in the fact there was someone he knew and could trust, right by his side.