XXI.

♛ ♛ ♛

My grandpa had been right, and along with almost dropping the plates she had been taking to the dining room, my grandma smacked me hard on the arm, telling me to never pull a stunt like that again.

She had been excited to meet each of the boys, spending a little extra time on Roger who I assume she recognized, only to end up being very fond of Brian, something I had never thought about but made sense when I did. We're all sat around the dining room table now, eating the barbecue that my grandpa had made.

"So, you've known them for how long now?" Denise asks me, passing the potatoes down to Deaky next to her.

"It's been, ten months, I think," I look to the boys for confirmation who all nod their agreements.

"So how did you meet each other." I choke on my drink at the question, nearly spitting it out on myself.

"Well, that's a funny story actually-" Freddie begins with a devious look in his eyes before I swallow hard, interrupting him.

"Just where I was working at the time," I say for him, glaring at him to make sure he keeps his trap shut.

"Really, what were you doing?" Aunt Tara asks me from across the table.

"She was a waiter," Deaky answers for me.

"It was quite an upbeat restaurant wasn't it," Brian adds in, removing himself briefly from whatever life altering conversation he was having with my extremely infatuated grandma. Thankfully, I don't have to be the one to change the conversation.

"Why are your guys's hair so long?" Noah asks, stabbing away at the food on his plate.

"They're rock stars honey," Aunt Haley says, "quit playing with your food."

"A little bit of rebellion is what it is," my grandpa gives a hearty laugh, "would've done it in my youth too but my parents would've hung me up on the wall."

The conversation leads on pretty comfortably from there, everyone interested in the touring and what exactly I do for the band. Roger actually gets along pretty well with my uncle, and they keep falling off the table's conversation to talk about cars and things like that. After dinner, I end up volunteering myself to help clean with my grandma, giving me a chance to talk with her.

"So you worked at a nightclub?" She asks as I add to the stack of dirty plates she's watching in the sink. I look at her for a moment, confused as to how she managed to scrap that up from the conversation.

"Oh, don't look at me like that Clementine," she chides, waving me off, "I worked at a nightclub when I was a teenager, I used the same excuse."

I chuckle, shaking my head, "Yes, that's where I met them."

"That Brian is a real gentleman," she says and I scoff, pulling the towel from its hangar to dry the plates she finishes.

"Out of all four of them you chose the blond?" She teases, and I roll my eyes.

"Yes I did, and I'll stick by that choice," I snort, putting up a plate after finishing wiping it down. "He's cute, and he has pretty eyes, and he's a drummer-"