Chapter Twenty Two

Finlay

It must have been the dead of the night when the horses and men finally descended from the small mountain from which we journeyed across. Despite the darkness, the time and the bitter cold wind that nipped at our noses people emerged from their homes to openly spy upon us as the horses trampled and the men walked down the centre path towards McDowell castle.

As more men, women and children emerged from their homes more lanterns we lit lighting the faces around us. Curious expressions stared up at us amongst the looks of confusion, interest and in some cases- fear.

Ares took up the front of the pack of warriors, proudly and strongly holding Rose and myself upon his back. The large animal's muscles rippled beneath me and I could feel the vibrations of his effort to look strong when he felt so weak. The long and hard ride had taken its toll on all of the horses, even the most strong of them.

As we travelled through the large town surrounding the castle the population of houses started to increase and in contrast to the large fields and farmers huts that stood on the edge of the town I started to see inns, shops a tavern and a few blacksmiths. There were multiple wooden stalls lit up by a flaming lantern that was held above it on a large stick. I had visited McDowell castle a few times but that had been many years ago when I was as tall as my hip and still clinging to my mothers skirts. I could remember back then the destruction and devastation McDowell castle and the surrounding clan land had been in after the battle between McDowell and McLeod so many years ago. I was proud of how well Clyde McDowell had rebuilt the clan and the towns in his land after the battle and his father's death a few years later.

I clutched Rose's hand in mine more tightly, looking down at her. She had been gazing out at the places we past and the people Ares strode past. Her eyes were wide with surprise, excitement and slight fear. I had forgotten that all this was new to Rose, the people, the place and the traditions and culture. Rose was from the future yet she seemed to fit beside me, here, as if she was born on this land seventeen years ago.

"It's all beautiful." I heard her whisper.

"Wait till ye see the castle lass." I leant down and whispered softly in her ear. The whisps of her hair tickled my nose and stirred my senses. I found myself pulling her body closer to mine, protectively, possessively. The action was so subconscious that I wouldn't have noticed it had done it without the small heated glance that fell my way from Rose.

"Are ye here to attack?"

"What clan are ye?"

"Where are ye banners?"

Shouts came from the crowd. I had almost forgotten them were there and understood the looks of fear some held. McDowell didn't usually host ally clans and they had tried to stay away from battles after the bloody war they had previously won, their people and lives hanging on a thin thread.

"Clan McCall! Allies to ye and yer clan, brothers and sisters!" Graham's horse came pounding towards us, his great voice bellowing out around us. He pulled his horse to a slow walk beside us, "do ye want me to ride ahead and warn the Laird of our presence?"

"Nay, he knows we are here." I replied, looking ahead at the wall of black that now stood fifty feet ahead. A row of horses, hoof to hoof stood in our path and top of them men dressed head to toe in black, shoulder to shoulder holding the green and gold banners of their clan and swords sharp and long enough to slit a throat ten paces away from the enemy.

Clyde McDowell had improved his weaponry since the war, it seemed.

"McCall!" a shout came from the dark warriors. Silence fell around us, the people once peering interestingly up at us now slowly inched back towards their homes in fear of a battle.