Chapter Thirty Four

Finlay

The midday sun hung above us, its rays penetrating the snow white clouds to beat down on our shoulders. A sweat bud rolled down Rose's back and soaked into her dirtied dress.

My arm was drawn across her stomach, noticing the change in Rose's breathing pattern as we neared McCain castle. Her breath hitched for a moment before increasing steadily as we approached.

I ran my thumb across her lower stomach soothingly, noticing her breathing return to normal. A surge of pride ran through me as I realised I could affect her feelings. Not that I would use that power to my advantage, bending her ways to my will but the thought that I could always make her calm when fear or panic attacked her reassured me.

My heart ached as my thumb softly scraped her gut as my mind brought the realisation my unborn child was dead.

A lump formed in my throat but I pushed back the sorrowful thoughts and urged Ares forward with a swift kick to his stomach. He let out a grunt and I chuckled at his complaint however as he stuck his hooves into the ground and surged forwards a splatter of mud hit me on the side of the face turning my smile into a frown of distaste.

Ares neighed and I swore at him once over the light sound of Rose's hidden sniggers. My grip on her stomach tightened as a warning, I was not in a humorous mood. Her laughter ceased and I caught a quick frightful glance sent my way.

I decided not to speak.

We were nearing the town now, the grey brick of the castle starting to rise tall above us, its domineering stance casting the whole town into semi-darkness. We had reached a few farmers' fields and as we rode past them I noticed them shoving pitchforks onto wagons, shovel and knifes on top. Anything blunt or sharp, heavy or light, anything that could do damage went on the wagons.

They were preparing to fight a battle on their land.

But did they want to fight us or the McKenzie clan? That was the question.

However, judging from how they only stared inquiringly, even a few with bright smiles, I assumed they were allies still.

But that's how it was before and I had nearly lost Rose's life and my own.

When at war one has to have an eye on everything around them, always watching for danger. I had just forgotten to open my eyes back with Clyde McDowell and maybe if I had I would have seen what he truly was.

A backstabbing murderer. A betrayer and collaborator of McKenzie.

Better he die on his own lands then in battle with my sword deep in his heart, twisting it slowly till he died from the sound of his own screams rather than the pain.

The echoing sound of hooves on stone brought me from my murderous thoughts and I turned my gaze upwards to see we had entered the town. We had already swiftly stridden past the villagers through the main sandy path and was now starting across the stone bridge, the castle now looming above us.

"Are you okay?" I heard Rose whisper softly below me.

"Aye lass." I replied, my voice shaky and lacking confidence.

The look on Rose's face showed me she didn't believe me. I wouldn't believe me. "You seemed to distance yourself for a moment. As if your soul left your body for a while. Your eyes they- they glazed over and-" Rose stopped, shaking her head it doesn't matter."

"I just forgot myself for a moment." I replied.

"I'm just worried for you," she said, "you seem different today."