Chapter Twenty Six

Finlay

Damn Alistair. Damn him to hell and back.

I regretted leaving Rose alone with him but if I knew one thing it was that he would protect her with his own life. As would I.

I left them both, turning back towards the courtyard. My warriors were scattered amongst the McDowell fighters, a few were training, others eating and chatting about the journey ahead to another clan to gain more followers.

Graham was by a cluster of horses, filling the trowel with more water, when he noticed me walk towards the stairs leading to the castle doors. He called out as he turned towards me, "Finlay!"

I stopped in my tracks a friendly smile on my face as I turned to greet him, "Graham. The warriors rest well last night, aye?"

"Aye," He replied, "and that speech of yer's before has seemed to finally get their heads in the right place. Hopefully we will be on the road by tonight, aye?"

"Hopefully," I said, "I am to talk to Clyde now. Ye know where he is? Alistair only told me he wanted me not where the blasted man is and even that might be a lie so he can be alone with Rose, the bastard." My smile turned to a snarl at the mention of Alistair. "Will ye try and find her for me? Don't leave her alone with Alistair, I don't trust him."

"Aye Finn." Graham nodded, "And I think Clyde's still in the great hall." He turned to where I came from and walked away swiftly, determination in his stride. I knew Graham thought of Rose like a little sister so I hoped he could protect as if she were one.

Turning back to the castle I swiftly passed through the large wooden doors, the musty smell of a crumbling castle replacing that of the horses and sweating warriors that fermented the courtyard. It was a lot darker in here as the large doors were only partially open, only allowing a small slit of sunlight to slither in and my eyes did not adjust quick enough before I walked into someone, my shoulder slamming against theirs.

"Sorry Laird Finlay." Lady McDowell said as she hurried past me, without looking back, towards the staircase that led up to mine and Rose's room. Pushing any thoughts about that aside I continued forward until I found myself in the great hall again, only this time the large table which we ate breakfast at was pushed aside against the wall at the opposite side of the room.

A throne-like chair was placed near the back of the room, a few meters in front of the discarded table and benches. The chair had a fur thrown over it. The white and brown hairs clashed against the crimson red cushions which Clyde McDowell's head rested upon as he leant casually against the chair. His head was propped up by his hand, his fingers resting gently on the side of his head whilst his other hand played with the hilt of the arm.

Clyde now wore his green plaid over his fine clothes, a large silver broach holding the two ends together. From where I stood he looked like a true Laird. A leader. And there was a glint in his eye that warned me that all those who crossed him were punished severely.

"Finn, brother," Clyde said, his voice echoing in the hall, "So glad ye got my message. Alistair is such a charming lad isn't he?"

"Very." I said through gritted teeth. Clyde noticed this and the sides of his mouth rose slightly, so sudden and natural looking it could have been mistaken for a twitch.

"I assume ye want to talk about the battle that waits ahead?" Clyde said. He sat straighter in his chair making seem as if he was arching over me. He looked larger in the light that streamed in from the half obscured windows surrounding us on both sides.