Chapter Ten

Finlay

Nearly seeing Rose naked had excited me very much and I had to take a detour before returning to the camp otherwise I would have walked into the clearing with my lust very evident down below.

But the most important thing I learned from out interaction was that she was afraid. Afraid of me hurting her and I was afraid of that too. She was a delicate bud, a flower only just revealing the true beauty of its petals and I didn't want to force her open too soon. But I wanted her so bad, emotionally as well as physically that it pained me to see her in such turmoil and I had to leave before I said or did something I regretted. Obviously kissing her had only pushed her further away from me so I knew that trying to find comfort with her through intimacy wouldn't work.

So I returned to camp, down and beaten, taking my anger out on the men who soon realised it was best to stay out of my way and soon we were ready to leave, Rose on Graham's horse with him once again.

The journey seemed like it lasted forever. I was at the front of the group, with Graham and Rose not far behind and it took all of my power, both physical and mental not to turn around and look at her, just look at her face, her eyes and her lips.

Instead I thought about her. I thought about the time I first saw her almost two weeks ago, dying in my arms. Luckily enough she survived the fire but even then when she was limp and pale in my arms I knew she was special. I knew she was different from all the other lasses who tried to catch my eye and get into my bed. Maybe it was when I saw her beautiful blue eyes for the first time that I realised she was mine. Or maybe it was when she walked into the large tent where me and Calum bickered. I didn't know exactly when; it wasn't as if I was hit in the face with the emotion of love it was if she just sparked that feeling which had been buried inside me and brought it to life.

And now we headed to a village where the fate of our romance would be decided and I feared Rose would chose against the love I felt for her. Obviously she was scared of a relationship with me yet she kissed me and showed that she wanted me which confused me the most. I only wished she look past her insecurities and be with me, but was that too much to ask her?

We had a rest halfway through the day and ate lunch to build out energy back up. Riders swapped and Graham swapped with Blair who hopped on the horse behind Rose. She offered to walk the rest of the way so someone else could ride the horse with Blair but Graham told her nay, that it was best she stayed on the horse and it wasn't long till we arrived anyway.

Soon the sun began to set and I gave into my urges and looked back to see Rose gently swaying into sleep on Blair's shoulder. The boy had one arm wrapped around her waist so she didn't fall off and the other on the reins, controlling the horse carefully. I envied the boy for a moment, a boy, because he got to hold and touch Rose. Rose looked so young in his arms and I had to remind myself that she was only seventeen and I six years older than her. Though age didn't matter as I knew girls as young as fourteen who married men as old as their fathers the sudden comparison startled me as I was forced to realise how innocent and pure she really was.

It was dark when we made it to the next village. The lanterns hanging outside their houses and the crescent moon above was the only light to guide us. There was a large clearing, thankfully, near the edge of town and my men set up camp there as there was not enough room in this village for one hundred burly large warriors.

Graham had pulled Rose from his horse and Blair and she was sleeping softly in his arms, something I envied. I wanted to snatch Rose from him and hold her myself, protect her with my life from anything that would want to take her away from me, including my best friend Graham, even though I knew he had no interest in Rose like that.

I insisted on Rose having a good sleep, not wanting her to sleep on the floor once again. So, with Graham holding Rose behind me, I headed to the nearest inn, resisting the urge to snatch her from him like a petulant child. I tried to wrangle my emotions under control, fisting my hands to my side and sneaking glances at Rose's sleeping figure to keep myself calm.

Almost seeing Rose naked and the couple of heated kisses we shared was on my mind and had my lust on a high but the recent events including beating up my cousin and having Rose tell me she didn't know if she wanted to be with me had my emotions on a damper. I needed her close to make me feel happy again.

The inn looked battered and bruised, the wood rotting and the side barely handing on by its chains. I hoped it stayed standing for the night or Rose was out in the open air again as I feared there were no other inns in this village.

The inn had a few men inside drinking beer at the bar, their heads drooping over their drinks at this late hour. I watched a young girl serve out some hot food to a couple sat in the corner of the room, steam wafting over it as them devoured the meal. I walked bar to be see an elderly woman behind the bar giggling with a few men drinking who had not yet fallen asleep in their drinks. She had a heavy bosom, wide hips and greying hair.

When she saw me she welcomed me over with a bright smile.

"How can I help ye?" she asked brightly, as if she wasn't affected by the time.

"I need a room for the night." I said sternly. I was in a rush and in no mood for sweet talk or pleasantries. Rose needed sleep, but more importantly I needed to talk to her about something.

The woman looked over at Rose worryingly and I could guess what she was thinking, looking at two large men holding a young, innocent looking, sleeping girl.

"My wife." I said to her when I noticed her concern. A lie, but I wished it wasn't, "And my brother. He will be staying elsewhere." I added the last bit to reassure her we weren't up to something shifty and as if to emphasise my point Graham handed me Rose before walking out of the inn after placing a few coins as payment on the bar.

"A double room for two I assume?" she said. I nodded and shifted Rose in my arms so she would be more comfortable. The woman took the coins off the bar and placed them away for safe keeping before walking from behind the bar.

"Follow me." She said stiffly, noticing my attitude towards her and taking inspiration from it. I followed the woman through a door at the end of the room and up some stairs. She led me to a wooden door and opened it letting me walk in.

"Goodnight." The woman left abruptly, obviously offended by my attitude towards her. I didn't care though and turned my attention to Rose.

When the door closed I turned to look at Rose. My wife. I wished I was lucky enough to call her that one day. But I guessed it all depended on what I was about to tell her. As that would determine how she felt towards me. If she hated me for this or...was able to forget it and love me.

Whilst on the ride earlier that day I decided I needed to tell her something which would affect what she ultimately decided to do, leave me or stay here. I only hoped it would help her choose to stay in my company. I feared if we left without her I would go crazy with worry.

Now I had to wait. Wait and worry over her decision.

Could she choose me over her life at home or would she forever search for a way back to the future and leave me behind. A forgotten memory.

A stay tear fell down my cheek. I never cry. But for her I would cry a sea if it meant I would be able to look on her angelic face every morning instead of having to watch her make herself insane as she searched for a way to go home.

I wanted her to accept this place as her home.

I bent down over Rose gently and placed a single passionate yet soft kiss on her lips, afraid this would be the last time I ever would.

z�<���P