003: Flashbacks

13 year old me was laying on my bed in the orphanage, writing in one of my notebooks. A few girls, that were older than me, came up to my bed and started being bitches.

"What happened to your parents, anyways? Did they go to jail for killing someone?" One asked.

"Oh, maybe they sold you to people for them to have some fun with and the cops finally caught them?" Another pressed.

"Wait, I know! They killed themselves!" The leader exclaims. "They couldn't stand the sight of you that the only way they could escape was dying!"

At this point I had had it so I went off on them, screaming at them and beating them up. The other kids in the orphanage watched, some laughed while others grimaced.

"FUCK YOU!" I yelled, punching and kicking until an adult separated us.

By the time I was calmed down, all three of the girls had to go into the critical care unit at the hospital and I was moved to a different orphanage.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

Rachel removed her hand from my grasp, a look of concern and sympathy written on her features. I just turned back around in my seat and stared at my hand with wide eyes.

'That was the day I killed someone.' I say in head. 'I thought I buried that...'

The rest of the drive was silent. I had started to get hungry and I told Dick, so we all stopped off at a diner that was near us.

The three of us sat at a booth by a window, me and Dick beside each other and Rachel across from him. The waitress put two empty coffee cups in front of Dick and Rachel.

"Want a hot chocolate or something?" My brother asked Rachel.

"Just coffee, black." She tells him, staring out of the window.

"Bet they have marshmallows." He says, looking between her and the waitress.

"I'm not a kid. Okay?" Rachel finally looks at him, with a blank stare.

"Okay." He repeats, nodding his head. "Same for the lady."

"I'll just get pancakes and bacon please." I look to the waitress, a smile on my face.

She nods, takes the coffee pot, and leaves. A silence envelops us; Rachel playing with her fingers while holding her cup, Dick spinning his cup on the table, and me silently waiting for my food.

"My mom didn't like me to drink coffee." Rachel says, grabbing the sugar that was left on the table.

She starts to pour a large amount of the sugar into her cup, and I gave her a weird glance. Dick, on the other hand, spoke up.

"Sweet tooth huh?" A little laugh at the beginning of his sentence.

She just ignores him and grabs a spoon to stir her drink, not even giving him a glance. Dick just stares at her, wondering what to say.

"Rachel." He starts, "Has anything like what happened happen before?"

I look between the two of them. "What happened?"

They just ignore me, but Dick sends a quick glance my way.

"No, not like that. I didn't mean to kill that guy." She tells him.

My eyes basically pop out of my head. Thoughts flooded my brain, but I didn't dare to speak; scared they would yell at me.

"How did you kill that guy?"

Rachel looks past Dick, at someone or something. He looks over there, too, but sees nothing and his attention returns to Rachel. Meanwhile, I'm shitting my fucking pants, wondering if this little girl is going to kill me and everyone else in here.

"We're gonna go see some old friends of mine." He pauses as the waitress come over with my food.

"Thank you." I tell her as she walks off.

Once she is far enough away, Dick continues. "They're safe. They'll give us a place to lay low for a second, get our heads together. Figure out what to do next."

Rachel looks down at her hands and says nothing, concerned about staying with people she didn't know; it probably freaked her out. Noticing her discomfort, Dick tries to persuade her into not being as scared; or at least ease her concerns a bit.

"You're scared, I get it, but sometimes there's no time to be scared." He says. "Hey, no ones gonna get you. Okay? I promise."

Finally giving in, Rachel speaks up. "Where else am I going anyway?"

This whole time, I had just been sitting and watching this interaction while eating my food. I didn't feel the need to speak up as I wasn't there when she, apparently, killed a guy and none of this is my problem anyway.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

After we finished in the diner, we all loaded back up into the car and continued our drive to who knows where. I don't know when, but I guess I had fallen asleep because I woke up with a jolt.

When I looked around, I could see we were parked in a Motel parking lot. Dick grabbed his suitcase and shut the trunk before walking back into the car and scrolling through his phone.

I took a quick peek over his shoulder and saw that he was looking through his contacts. Once he stopped, he let out a huff of air. But just as quick as he stopped, he started to scroll back up in his contacts list and clicked on one that said 'Alfred Pennyworth'.

·•°·•°·•°·•°•·

So, this one was longer. Who would've known?

Next chapter coming out soon!

*EDITED*