006: Uninvited Guests

Everyone looks at Rachel, confused as to how this 14 year old girl screamed so loud glass broke. She looked around at everyone else, looking just as confused as them.

"I'm sorry." She says, and leaves.

I follow after her, sending a death glare Dick and Hanks way as I leave. When I get into our temporary bedroom, I see Rachel sitting on the bed with her knees to her face. Sighing, I take a seat next to her and put my legs into a criss-cross.

"It's not your fault, they were being huge assholes. God, I wish I could have done that." I tell her.

She looks away from the wall and stares at me, worry in her eyes. I just grab her hands and hold them in both of mine. We sit in a comfortable silence for a minute.

"I'm scared." I hear Rachel mumble.

"I know." I tell her.

I knew many ways to comfort someone, but I thought this way would be most affective. Just to let her know I understand what she's feeling, but not give her advice on what to feel.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

Dick knocks on our bedroom door and opens it, walking in silently. I take this as my que to let them talk about whatever they wanted.

"Call if you need me." I whisper to Rachel, lightly tapping her hand.

She nods her head and I stand up from the bed, look at Dick with a warning look, and walk out of the door, closing it on my way.

I see Dawn walk into the bedroom a few seconds after Dick goes in. I also see Hank putting his jacket on, so I figure the two of them are going out somewhere.

'A date, maybe.' I think.

I couldn't care less so I pull my phone out from my pants pocket and turn it on. I click on one of my favorite games, Crossy Road, and start playing. I hear the door shut so I figured Dawn and Hank had left.

"I used to think it was one of the things I was best at. Until I realized... The more help some needed, the worse I had to hurt the others. Do you understand?" I hear Dick tell Rachel.

After that, I tune out their conversation. I wasn't invested enough to listen more, and I honest to god did not give a shit.

I was laying on the couch, just playing my game, when Dick walks out of the door too. At that point I look up to see Rachel at the doorway to our room.

"Please don't tell me he's crashing a date." I say to her.

She just shrugs her shoulders and walks back into the room, laughs escaping her mouth. I groan and hope to god it isn't a date and he isn't crashing it.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

An hour or so later and Rachel comes out of the room. I briefly look up from my phone, give a curt nod, and look back down again; because, to be honest, she can do whatever she wants.

I could hear her walking over to the couch, where I'm sat, and I could see, from the corner of my eye, Rachel pick something up from the chair so I look up to see what it was.

It looked like a chunky yellow envelope and when she opened it there was a bunch of money with a piece of paper wrapped around them. I stand up beside her to get a closer look.

"What? What the fuck does it say?" I question, looking at Rachel's saddened face.

She looks from the note to the money, then puts it in my hands for me to look over. I read from the first word down to the very last one and my heart shatters.