Chapter 35

"We need a signature here to start digging out what is supposed to become the pool," a constructor told me. I signed the paper on my way out. There was only so much I could do on a construction site. I was serious about making a change and vowed not to work more than eight hours a day. Some days it was hard to stay under those eight hours, on other days I just cut the day short. Today was such a day. This afternoon I'd be by the beach, laying down, reading a book, and sipping on a cocktail. It was time to relax.

When I arrived at the beach, it wasn't too busy but not entirely quiet either. It was exactly the way I liked it. There was enough space to feel the privacy and the rest as it was busy enough not to sit there in complete and utter silence. I thought it to be the perfect setting to get out of my head. Placing my towel over the sunbed, I looked up to the sky. It was clear and the sun was blazing. It's a good thing I bought a new flask of sunscreen as I haven't seen much sun in the city yet. My skin needed the extra layer of protection not to burn to death.

I sat down on my sunbed and started applying sunscreen systematically, starting with my legs and working my way up to my face. As I've been doing this daily now, I've become quite skilled when it came to applying sunscreen on my back by myself. It was a skill I needed to master when traveling alone and it served me well. But there was always just that spot even I couldn't reach.

"You need some help with that?" a deep voice sounded from behind me.

I remembered that voice. A chill went down my spine and I sat there, frozen in my seat.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him, not turning around. The snappy tone couldn't have gone unnoticed.

It remained quiet behind me. But my senses were stronger than ever. I smelt him and it was as if I could hear his footsteps in the sand, coming closer and closer. I embraced myself for what would come next. His hand grabbed my shoulder, rather roughly.

"I have my connections, Darling," His voice sounded cold. "Did you think I'd give up that easily?" I felt another chill going down my spine. I felt the urge to run. But I knew it would have been of no use.

"What do you want, Hugh? What are you even doing here?" All my senses were on high alert, but I wouldn't show him, no way. "I believe it's quite clear that there's nothing to gain here for you."

He moved around and stood there, towering over me, oozing his power. "That's where you're wrong, Darling. I know there's plenty to gain here for me." His voices sounded patronizing. He was the man, I was the woman. He thought of himself as strong and in power and, in his mind, I sat there, weak and submissive.

Refusing to let him play his game with me, I stood up and pushed him back a bit, to create some space and looking him square in the eye. I wouldn't go down that easily. "You had a deal with my father, but he isn't one to make deals about my life. So, be a man, take your loss, and walk away."

"Oh, but where's the fun in that. Besides, I'm used to getting what I want. And I want this merger. And getting you as my wife is just an added bonus." Again, he took a step closer. "You'd look good on my arm." His hand touched my elbow, slowly stroking its way up to my shoulder, then my neck, and finally my cheeks.

My cheeks radiated with heat, my eye twitched. I was fuming. How dare he? Without thinking about it for another second, my flat hand collided with his cheek. Hard. "You chauvinistic pig. Don't you ever, not even for a fraction of a second, think that I would ever marry you. I'm not a trophy wife or whatever you and my father may think. I'm too good for you, and you damn well know it."

He stepped closer, holding my gaze. His eyes looked dark, angry. He took me by surprise when he grabbed onto my arm rather hard. "I like them feisty, but you're a smart girl. You know I'm stronger than you."