Chapter 22

Thank you all so much for your patience. I hope you'll like this chapter!

-

When I woke up the next day, I didn't feel like the world was resting on my shoulders anymore.

I felt lighter and less gloomy than yesterday. Looking back, sending that message to Julian probably wasn't my smartest move, but apologizing in any kind of way seemed to help my mood. Of course, I didn't expect it to be fixed right away if there even was a possibility this would be fixed at all.

Also, my epiphany in the park yesterday made me realize something I have known all my life. I am my own person, and I don't need a man. Against doctor's orders, I got ready for a day at the office. Sure, it wasn't exactly my dream job, but I came to enjoy it anyhow. I liked my employees and they worked hard. So if they were, why shouldn't I? Especially with this giant problem that needed to be fixed. Besides that, my new phone would be delivered to the office this morning. And let's be honest here, who could go without a phone in the world we're living in.

Once I was dressed in a pale blue blouse and a grey pencil skirt, I tied my hair in a loose bun on the top of my head, careful not to touch my stitches. I would have preferred to let my hear loose, but unfortunately, when working it was often in my way and I would rake my hand through it.

I arrived at the building at half-past eight and I made a quick stop at the front desk. "Good morning, Kelly. Any packages I should take up with me?" She gave me a warm smile and handed me a small box. I took it and thanked her before I made my way upstairs.

The elevator brought me up to the top floor and soon I was in my office, seated behind my desk. There was a pile of files on my desk, regarding the new resort in Hawaii. I then looked through the marketing reports and I was hit by an idea. Why not make immediate changes to the Hawaii resort while we still could? It could be like a pilot before we start major renovations to the existing hotels.

Because of that idea, getting myself to work was easy, as I knew what had to be done. Unfortunately, convincing the senior board was something that needed to be done before I could push through any major things. Changing the company's entire formula would be such a thing.

So I worked on it, and I worked hard. A few hours had passed when I was interrupted by the faint noise of a phone ringing. I tried to localize it and the sound seemed to come from the box. Oh right, the phone. Quickly, I opened the box and answered the phone. "Hello?"

I recognized the phone on the other end of the line immediately. My heart stopped. Was this some kind of sick joke? Sure, I had hoped for this, but I never would have thought it would happen.

"Lucy? Are you alright there?"

I checked my phone to see the caller ID. It said mom, but this wasn't my mom's voice. It was my brother's. "Chris? Is that really you?" Tears were now streaming freely down my cheeks.

"Will you just get your ass over here? Now?" his voice sounded over the phone. This was unreal. After all those years, I finally had my brother back. I made a beeline for the door, work could wait just a little longer. I wasn't supposed to be in the office anyways and family always comes first.

I rushed to the elevator and let out a sigh of relief when the doors opened immediately. I rode the elevator to the ground floor and pushed myself through the half-open doors. There was no time to lose.

Completely oblivious to my surroundings I sped through the lobby and to the exit. Of course, with just my luck, it was inevitable. I bumped into someone and coffee was spilled all over me, but I couldn't be bothered. I continued my way and called out a quick sorry over my shoulder. Another outfit ruined by coffee. It wasn't like this was anything new for me, but the hot liquid seeping through your clothes and onto your body wasn't a feeling I could ever get used to.

I hailed a cab and told him to get me to the hospital as soon as he could. Then I called my sister but was rewarded with her voicemail, so I left a message. "Ava, you need to drop everything you're doing and get your butt to the hospital right now. It's Chris, he's awake."

The cab pulled up in front of the hospital and I paid the cab driver. I probably overpaid the man as I didn't pay any attention to how much I pulled out from my wallet. And I couldn't be bothered. I just wanted to see my brother and not fearing for his life for just a second. I ran inside and made my way to my brother's room by memory.

Of course, this caused my head to throb in pain, but I pushed it to the back of my head. This was not the right moment to worry about that.

The door to my brother's room was open and I could see him lay there in bed. His face regained some color and his chestnut brown eyes seemed to spark brighter than ever before. That's what happens when you haven't seen them for years. It makes everything seem so much better.

"Hey, there little duck! It was about time you showed up here!" I shook my head in amusement. Little duck, that's what he called me ever since I started walking which, according to him looked like a waddling duck. I had never thought that I would ever be happy to hear that nickname again.

I moved towards him and spread my arms. "Is it okay? Will it hurt?" But it was no use. He had his arms wrapped around me before I could finish my question. "I missed you, Chris."

-

I sat with Chris the entire afternoon, telling him all that he has missed. I told him about me taking over Harrington Inc. and about Ava starting Med school like she had dreamed about since she was a child.

"So, how's your life? I can't imagine dad being of any help in the company."

A humorless laugh escaped me. "Of course he isn't. he forced me to marry someone within a set period of time, or else I would lose my position as CEO. The man has lost his mind."

"Oh, has he now?" A smile tugged at his lips. I could always count on my brother to seek amusement in my predicaments. And I hoped that would never change. My brother dying would be the only thing that could make such a change happen. "All joking aside, Luce, it's your life. He can't force you to give that up. You know I would do everything I can to help you out. Anything to leave this place and pick up my life again."

"Well, now you mention it. I wouldn't be me if I didn't dig around some more. I mean, we live in the twenty-first century. There's no way that business is slowing down because a company is led by a woman. And I was right. I found out what the problem is and I think I know just how to fix it, slowly, but surely. But I need some help coming up with a concrete plan to convince the board. Care to help me out?" My mouth produced the word without any form of doubt. If my brother still had the same drive to prove my father and the entire board of Harrington Inc. wrong, there was no doubt he was going to help me out.

My brother was great at what he did before the accident happened, and he loved doing it. "Count me in, sis." I might have imagined it, but his eyes seemed to spark just a tad bit brighter than they had done before. "So, the whole marrying thing. How's that going for you?"

I was about to tell him to back off when attention was directed to the beeping sound of my phone. A message. My brain immediately told me it was Allison, scolding me for going into the office anyways. But my curiosity and hope took over my actions. I grabbed my phone and stared at the screen. The message came from Julian.