Chapter 18

Chapter 18:

It has been a few days since Julian came to bring us some take-out while we were hauled up in the office, trying to put our finger on the exact problem. And it made sense. Harrington Inc. originally was a hotel chain that aimed its main business on those who traveled for business. The slowing down of business has nothing to do with me being a single woman being in charge, that was just the stupidest argument they could come up with. Business trips aren't just that big of a deal anymore. The world has caught up to the life of the business. The number of flights has certainly increased, so most national business trips don't require a night in a hotel as you can easily fly out in the morning, and return that same night. That is, in fact, when a trip is needed at all. A lot of things can be dealt with by conference calls or simple one on one video calls. So, the problem is not me running it all, it is Harrington Inc's outdated formula that is causing the trouble. How convenient for my father to jump ship at exactly the right moment. Right?

Needless to say, the days following that night were long. Very long. I stepped into my office at seven in the morning, and I wouldn't leave till at least eight o'clock at night. I hadn't seen Julian, my mom or my sister, or anyone else for that matter, in five days. We had brief contact in the form of text messages or quick phone calls, but that was about it. Because of that, I shouldn't have been surprised when Allison was kicking me out. She sent Julian a message from my phone, and he knocked on my office door. "Yes! Finally, you're here. Take her! And by taking her, I mean, grab her by the wrist and literally drag her out of here. I told her to go so many times, but she just doesn't listen.'' Allison said, looking at me, daring me to go against her. But, of course, I couldn't do that. I could not let my big secret slip now.

Julian did as he was told, and reached for my hand. I sighed a sigh of defeat and then let him lead me outside. "See you tomorrow," I called over my shoulder to Allison, who just stood there with a smile on her face. It was only half-past 6, and my PA kicked me out. What has become of me? Julian and I neared the elevator when I realized something. "Shoot! I forgot something important. Give me a minute, please?" He just stood there shaking his head with a smile on his face. "Go, just keep in mind that if this takes longer than five minutes, I'll just come in there and carry you out." He leaned in and gave me a sweet kiss. "Now, hurry. Before I change my mind." I gave him another kiss before I hurried back into my office.

"Lucy, seriously? What now?" asked Allison when I stepped inside. "I know you want to fix this problem in order to be able to live your life the way you wish and you want to prove your father wrong, but overworking yourself and not living your life, isn't going to make that happen. Besides that, I really want to go and have dinner with Brandon. And I know that you told me to go whenever I wanted, but that is a bit difficult with Julian still hovering around here. So, leave, please?"

"Relax, Allison. I am leaving. I would just like my bag and phone to go with me." I said stepping around her to fetch my belongings from my desk. "Leave this mess for what it is, I'll clean up tomorrow. Please, take the morning off tomorrow, you deserve it. Tell Brandon I said hi and that I am sorry for keeping you away. I know that with his crazy hours you can't spend much time together. Bye for now." And with that I walked out of my office, making my way back to the elevator. "I am all set. Thank you for being patient with me."

While we waited for the elevator, Julian wrapped his arms around me from behind and pulled me close to his chest. "I swear to God, woman, you are working yourself to death if you go on like this. You and your boss both for that matter. I know that you want to fix what is broken, and I truly admire the time and effort you both put in but, please, don't forget to live while doing it." He pressed a kiss to my neck and nuzzled his nose against my hair.

For a moment, I managed to forget all that was going on. I forgot the crappy situation I was in, the poor relationship with my father, the problems within the company. At this moment, all I could feel was how good Julian was for me. And then it hit me. He was not good for me. He could not be good for me, he doesn't even know me. He knows the version of me I let him believe I was. He has no idea who I am, what I do, or why I do it. He has no clue. This realization, which of course, has always been present in the back of my head, made me step away from him slightly.