Chapter 21

"Lucy, Lucy, wake up." It was Allison, of course. She shook my shoulder a few times before it had any effect at all. I opened my eyes, surprised to see it was late in the afternoon already. "Lucy, are you okay?"

I gave Allison the best smile I could muster right at that time. Truth be told, the throbbing in my head was killing me and the muscles in my neck didn't really agree with the position I was, apparently, sleeping in. "I'm okay, Ali. Please, tell me you were able to block my cards and the sim data on my phone? Gosh, my mom must be worried sick! She was supposed to pick me up from the hospital this afternoon, and I just left there myself. I wanted to call her after my stroll. I just wanted to be able to enjoy some free time, no-one hovering to see if I was okay." I sighed a sigh of frustration and let my head rest in my hands. "It's fascinating how one can screw up so many times in just twenty-four hours."

Allison let out a quiet laugh. "It's a good thing you have me then. Don't worry. I called your mom as soon as you sat down. Then I called the bank and Visa, they've blocked your debit card and your credit card. New cards will be sent to your home address within two days. Lastly I called your phone company. Your sim is blocked, there will be a new phone, ready to use, delivered to the office first thing tomorrow morning. So that's two of the, as you call it, screw-ups fixed."

A sigh of relief escaped from me and I gave Allison a warm and grateful smile. "Allison, you seriously are a lifesaver. I really don't know what I'll do without you. You should go home. You deserve the night off. I won't be in tomorrow, doctor's orders. I forbid you to come in tomorrow. Take the day off!" I stood up and gave Allison a hug goodbye before I left my office and head home.

-

As the cab driver pulled up in front of my building, I paid him with the money Allison gave be just before I left. I got out and made my way over to the door when I realized I didn't have my keys with me, as I was rushed into the hospital last night. So, there I stood in front of my building without keys or a phone to call someone. Could this day just be done with already? For the second time today, I was standing with my back against the wall. And then I remembered the lounge where Julian worked. Was I ready to face him after he found out about my lie in the most brutal way? But on the other hand? Did I have a choice?

I walked over to the bar cautiously. Part of me was hoping to see Julian there while another, slightly bigger part was nervous of the fall-out that would undoubtedly follow. Taking in one final breath, I laid my hand on the doorknob and pushed the door open. The bar was quiet, which wasn't strange for this time of day. I looked around to find the area completely empty.

Normally, seeing a place empty made me turn around and go somewhere else. However, desperate times called for desperate measures. I needed to call my mom. "Hello?"

Someone came out from under the bar and my eyes went straight to his. There he stood, tall, handsome, and... angry. That was to be expected. "Save it, princess. I really don't want to hear it. And then to think I felt guilty for the way I acted to you when I didn't even know you. Turns out, I was right all along. We don't want your money, go spend it somewhere else." That was all he said before he turned around and was about to disappear in the staff only room behind the bar.

"Wait!"

I moved a bit closer, and to my surprise, he turned around. "I know I am not the person you want to see right now, I get it. Just, please, let me use the phone to call my mom real quick. I'm locked out of my building, my phone was stolen, and I have no money to pay for a cab right now. So, please, let me make a phone call and I'll be out of your hair, for now." I sounded so desperate right about now. What was wrong with me?