02. the liability

Song of the chapter is
Liability by Lorde

-02-
-Veronica D'Rosario-
-Present-

-02--Veronica D'Rosario--Present-

__________

Bean Journal Cafè, Mangalore
7 November, 2030
4:03 pm

The autumn air mixed with the aroma of freshly baked butterscotch flavoured cookies lingered in the air, making me fall back in love with nostalgia.

I almost smiled to myself.

Fixing the knot of my dull grey apron, I tucked the remaining strands of my hair behind my ear and walked out the door to the kitchen. The door closed slowly behind me.

"A cold chicken salad and a caramel latte for table four." I instructed and Maria's thumbs up popped from behind the counter. I smiled.

"The evening's turning out to be good today. Lot of customers." Maria's voice echoed from behind.

"Definitely." I nodded to myself. "I'll check if there are any new orders. Make sure the order for table three is ready by ten."

"You got it." Nalin hummed softly, as he finished chopping the onions.

Pushing the door to the kitchen, I stepped out and was immediately greeted by a familiar face.

"Qais."

"Veronica."

I smiled, as I stepped closer to the counter. "Ordering your usual, I presume?"

"You know me, I'm a basic bitch."

I chuckled softly as I poured the contents of the decaf coffee into the machine.

"Busy night, huh?" He said, looking around. The soft cackle from the coffee machine reverberated off the mauve painted walls, it's noise clashing against Elvis Presley's 'If I Can Dream' playing on the vintage jukebox.

"Yep." I hummed as I carefully poured the coffee on the hand-painted mocha mug.

He gave me a soft look as I pushed the mug towards him. "Thanks."

Sipping on it, he continued, "So...did you think about my offer?"

My lips plastered on a slight smile. "You are never gonna give up on that, are you?"

His eyes twinkled with a familiar glare, as he kept the mug down, while the fog that had clouded his glasses slowly ebbed away. "How else would I find excuses to meet you?"

He did that a lot. Flirt with me. And although his advances never went beyond anything sweet, I still felt a weird entanglement everytime he did that.

"Sappy much?" I tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear.