50. at odds

Song of the chapter is
Alps by Novo Amor

-50-
-Kartik Malhotra-
-Present-

-50--Kartik Malhotra--Present-

__________

Malhotra Mansion
7 December, 2030
11:34 a.m.

Scanning my eyes across my phone screen, I took a sip of my morning coffee. December had descended on the town like an old friend, the cold seeping through the few leaves still left up in trees. The winter sun shone bright across the windows of my living room, casting a beaming shadow upon the old marble tiles.

I watched as Zoya came down the stairs, rubbing her eyes.

"Good morning, Zoya." Siya greeted her with her cup of tea as she came and settled on the couch beside me.

"It's almost afternoon." Zoya said, taking the cup from her. "How did I sleep so long?"

"When do you not sleep for long?" I asked.

She paused for a few minutes before giving me a curt nod. "Point."

I shook my head slowly.

"But then again, V's always there to wake me up in the morning." Zoya continued, giving us a puzzled look.

"Speaking of her, I haven't seen her since morning." Siya stated and I exchanged a look with her.

"Yeah, where is she?"

As soon as the question left my mouth, a sudden flicker happened in Zoya's eyes and some sort of a realisation dawned on her. I watched as she took a sip of her tea, a slow smirk creeping up on her face as she did.

"You know something, don't you?" I raised a brow.

"I might know something." She responded, giving me a side glance.

"So you know where she is?" Siya asked.

"Yep." She responded, popping the 'p'. "And I also know who she's with."

My brows knitted but before I could ask her to elaborate more, the doorbell rang. I got up from the couch and went to open the door, only to find Veronica standing outside.

"Hey." A shy smile graced her features as I opened the door wider to let her in.

"Hey, where have you been?" I asked, taking off her coat for her. She avoided my eye and went and sat down on the couch.

I watched as Zoya gave her a teasing look as I walked back towards the couch and took a seat next to her.

"So V," Zoya began, the smirk on her face widening as she spoke. "You didn't come home last night."

Veronica licked her lips and hugging her body, answered, "Yeah...um... about that...."

"Where were you, Veronica?" Siya asked.