29. blood is the new black

Song of the chapter is Hidden in the Sand by Tally Hall

-29-
-Zoya Afreen-
-Present-

-29--Zoya Afreen--Present-

______________

Paper Lantern
24 November, 2030
4:12 pm

"You've got to be fucking kidding me." I muttered under my breath as my eyes caught sight of a familiar face amongst the customers at the Paper Lantern.

After Veronica's mini break down at the diner, we had had to head outside to calm her down better and once we were sure that she was okay, Himanshu and I walked back inside to ask the waitress some more questions.

But before we could begin, a familiar face emerged from the crowd, calling out Himanshu's name in a cranked voice. As we both turned towards the direction of the voice, an irritation crawled up my veins.

It was none other than Himanshu's uptight fiance.

As she came and stood in front of us, she gave me a solid up-and-down look before looking at her fiance.

"Where the hell have you been? I've been constantly trying to call you!" She demanded.

"Dhrashti, I told you I was gonna be busy the whole day." Himanshu answered in an equally annoyed voice. Seriously, if we lost another life because of her useless shenanigans, I was going to lose it.

"Doing what exactly?" She questioned, then looked back at me. "Frolicking with your friends?"

"Dhrashti, I don't have the time for this right now. Just go home and wait for me. I'll be back by eve-"

"No."

"No?" I asked.

"No." She crossed her arms in front of her chest. "You're coming home with me now."

I sighed, exasperated by her audacity.

"I can't. I have something I need to do." Himanshu tried to explain calmly.

"What, like her?" Dhrashti asked, pointing out the window, where Veronica stood, witnessing the entire fiasco from afar. She looked away as we all looked at her.

Himanshu sighed, more annoyed. "Dhrashti, I can't do this right now-"

"She's got some nerve, truly!" Dhrashti threw with spite. "Don't you see, Himanshu? She's using this situation to manipulate you into being with her again!"