33. errors of the past

Song of the chapter is
Poison by Roses and Revolution

-33-
-Kartik Malhotra-
-Present-

-33--Kartik Malhotra--Present-

__________

Aldonis Street

24 November, 2030
6:45 pm

As I finished reading the text, my heart sunk in its place.

My eyes immediately darted towards my wife.

She had a horrified look on her face. In the faint glow of the streetlight above us, I could see the look of alarm on her features. Her breathing was shallow, as though she was scared someone would hear her.

"Siya-"

"They know." She breathed, her gaze fixated on the asphalt of the road. Her breathing suddenly grew faster. "Kartik, they know-"

"Siya, it's okay-"

"No, no, no...no it's no-not okay." She stammered as she shook her head frantically. "Kartik, they know about that night. They know what we did. They know what I -"

"I, Siya." I reminded her. "I did it."

Her gaze flickered at me, with a trepidation in them.

"It's okay, alright." I held her by her arm. "Whatever they know... can't hurt you, okay?"

Tears started streaming down her face as she said, "How can they know? We-we took care of it, didn't we? I never said anything to anyone, I promise!"

"I know, Siya." I reassured her as I pulled her close. "I believe you."

As she buried her head in my chest, faintly sobbing, my heart broke into two pieces. After all that she had endured over the past few years, she had finally started to recover and get back on her feet again. She had stopped taking pills, got over her constant fears and finally, got back on with her life. And now, this one little text had managed to overturn all of that and made her crumble again.

My mind filled with unbridled rage against whoever was doing this. She didn't deserve. Out of everyone in this world, she didn't deserve it.

I squeezed in tighter as I heard her sobs get louder. Rubbing her back, I tried to calm her down. "Ssh. Ssh. It's okay. It's going to be okay."

"How?" She broke apart and demanded. "How is it...going to be okay? We can't put it behind anymore, Kartik! Someone knows what we did. And that person is going to try to do everything to reveal that and get us in trouble! We're fucked! We're done!"

"We are not, Siya." I held her as I enunciated. "Trust me, whoever's doing this,....they just want to mess with us, alright? It's not gonna come out, ever. Because they need that leverage....to use against us."