62. macabre

Song of the chapter is
You Should See Me In A Crown by Billie Eilish

-63-
-Kartik Malhotra-
-Present-

-63--Kartik Malhotra--Present-

___________

St. Maud Theatre
22 December, 2030
12:01pm

As we stood in front of the three-storeyed building, all of us had one thought in mind.

This was it.

All of us knew, but it was too scary to acknowledge it with words spoken aloud. A certain weight was always added by the symphony when those words slipped on tongues and rolled over lips.

And so, we decided to not speak a word at all.

Our footsteps echoed in unison as we walked towards the empty building. Dark clouds loomed over the midnight sky, impeding a storm. The leaves rustled as the wind swept past the abandoned property.

The door was unlocked, so we stepped in without having to open the loud clangy door and awake any monsters that lay in shadows.

Although, the monsters seemed to already be moving us like puzzle pieces in their little fucked up game.

As we stepped into the loft area of the abandoned theatre, Zoya spoke for the first time. "Why am I getting so many deja vu's all of a sudden?"

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat for a while as I responded, "Touche."

"Officer Ravi is nearby, right?" Siya asked Zoya. She nodded in response, saying, "Yeah, he's a block away to avoid suspicion. He said he'll alert his force after we give him the signal."

"But won't Detective Gomez be suspicious if all of a sudden half the police force is out on a secret duty?" Siya asked.

"Well, considering we're suspecting that he's the actual culprit, I highly doubt he'll be busy managing the police force right now." Zoya replied.

"What if he sabotages it in some way?" I asked.

"Enough with the negativity, Malhotra." Came her response.

"I'm just thinking of the worst case scenario." I reasoned.

"Okay, but now what?" Saina asked no one in particular as she clung on to Zoya's arm.

"I'm pretty sure we're being watched." Himanshu said, his eyes scanning the place. "So the instructions should arrive within a few-"

Our phones chimed at that very moment.

"-seconds." Himanshu completed, fishing out his phone from his back pocket.

As I clicked on the notification, Siya read out loud,