27. digging up the past

Song of the chapter is Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur

-27-
-Kartik Malhotra-
-Present-

-27--Kartik Malhotra--Present-

______________

Malhotra Mansion
24 November, 2030
3:23 pm

"Are you absolutely sure, dad?" I asked over the phone, as I paced back and forth on the terrace.

"Yes, Kartik. I'm positive." Dad's voice came clear on the other end.

"So you're saying that Mahi Sehgal and her family used to stay in Delmore before she died?"

"Yes, as far as I know." He answered, a strain in his voice. "That's how she came to work in our company in the first place."

"Okay, dad, do you remember the address?" I asked impatiently.

"Uh..."he trailed off, as if trying to remember. "Not really....but I'm sure it's in our office records. I can ask an employee to send you the details if you want."

"Yes dad, that'd be great!" I said with a hint of relief.

"But why are you suddenly asking about Mahi, Kartik?" I heard him ask next, with an undertone. "It's been years since...."

"I know, dad." I intervened before he could finish. "But I have a feeling that whatever's happening right now has something to do with the incidents of 2019. And she was the main reason why Yash started everything."

For the past few weeks, I had been stalling my dad proposition of explaining whatever was happening in Delmore and how the killings had started once again. He kept up to date with the news of this place more than where he actually resided now. He had been on my tail, asking me if I wanted him to come and sort out this mess and get Siya and I safely back to Delhi.

But I knew that was useless.

Because this killer wouldn't be done with us until he was done with us. And I didn't want to put him at risk by asking him to come here. So I decided that it was best to not involve him in this mess.

But he was persistent upon knowing what was happening, so I decided to give him atleast half the truth.

"Kartik, I'm gonna ask you this one more time." He began, again. "Do you want me to come down there? You know I would. I'll leave everything and come down to Delmore if you say so-"