08. somebody else

Song of the chapter is Right Where You Left Me by Taylor Swift

-08-
-Veronica D' Rosario-
-Present-

-08--Veronica D' Rosario--Present-

__________

Paper Lantern
11 November,  2030
8:13 pm

Time had just paused in that moment.

The sonorous noise of the wind chime, the grumble of the coffee machine, the soft hum of jazz music playing over the jukebox ——— every sound had drowned as my eyes had met his. The pulsating beats of my heart were the only thing I could hear at that moment.

My breath had hitched in my throat, refusing to be let out. My cold hands until then had now started sweating profusely. My mind couldn't decipher the sight in front of me.

Moose... my Moose....was standing right in front of me.

Eleven years had passed and yet he still looked like the thirteen year old boy that I had fell in love with. His soft brown curls were a bit darker now, his sweet caramel infused green eyes still the same. The celeste blue shirt that he was wearing had one button undone and it stood in stark contrast to the usual flannels that he used to wear when he was seventeen. It seemed like after all these years the only thing that had changed about him was his fashion sense.

I didn't realise how long we stood like that until Zoya ran up to me and engulfed me in a warm embrace. I chuckled softly as her body hit mine with an impact.

"You absolute fucking bitch!" She grinned as she parted from me. "So many years and not one text from you!"

A faltered smile etched on my face.

"Yeah I know. I have a lot of apologising to do, don't I?"

From my peripheral vision, I could see Moose shifting in his place.

"That you do." Zoya voiced. "But I'm very glad you made it to the reunion."

I darted my eyes at Moose and then back at Zoya. "Yeah, me too."

She gave me a wide smile and locked her arm with mine. "Come on." She led me to the booth where her and Moose were sitting earlier and sat down next to him. I took a seat opposite to them. Moose shifted uncomfortably in his seat as he took a sip of his drink.

He avoided meeting my eyes.

"Should we order something? I am kind of craving for milkshake and fries." Zoya chimed and looked at me for assistance.

"Uh... I'll just get pasta I guess. I'm kind of hungry from the journey."

"Alright." Zoya uttered as she called one of the waitresses that was serving one of the other tables. As she came and stood in front of our booth, Zoya narrated her order to her and stopped to look at me.