20. return of the sleuths

Song of the chapter is
Bells In Santa Fe by Halsey

-20-
-Veronica D'Rosario-
-Present-

-20--Veronica D'Rosario--Present-

____________

Paper Lantern

15 November, 2030
1:30 pm

The silence that reverberated afterwards was a little too familiar, echoing from the deepest corners of all our minds.

"Even if we do that," Zoya was the first to speak. "Where do we even begin?"

We all exchanged tensed glances. None of us had a clue where to even begin looking for clues.

"Well for starters, I think we can begin by checking the cctv footage of the school and the Inn." Moose answered, folding his arms.

Kartik blinked. "Yeah...but are the school authorities gonna let us do that? Considering we're practically number one in the suspect list."

Zoya groaned in frustration.

"Yes, but I'm not. So I'll go." Moose placed, and then moved his gaze to look at Siya. "If you're.... comfortable that is...."

Siya looked up at him for a moment before looking away, shaking her head. "Whatever."

Moose's lips pressed in a thin line as his eyes lowered.

"Yeah, but don't you think it'd be risky to go right now?" I expressed my concern. "I mean....the school's probably on high security too. Don't you think we should atleast wait a few days before going?"

He glanced at me and then held my gaze for a moment before looking away, pondering.

"Yeah, Veronica's right. It's not safe to go just yet." Kartik nodded. "Let's wait a couple of days before taking a step. Because we don't really know how this killer works. He could get you into a problem with the police, if he found out we had started looking for him already."

Moose nodded, breathing a sigh.

"Fine... let's wait for four to five days for the commotion to die down." He said. "Then we'll make our move."

I breathed an internal sigh, that he was convinced.

"I'll go at night. That way there won't be anyone other than the security guard." He continued.

"Yeah...but Himanshu, you shouldn't go alone. What if you need help with something?"  Saina suggested.

"Fine, uh... I'll take..." He trailed off as he glanced at me. I blinked twice. "Zoya."