42. riptide

Song of the chapter is
I Should Hate You by Gracie Abrams

-41-
-Saina Bahl-
-Present-

-41--Saina Bahl--Present-

__________

Malhotra Mansion
29 November, 2030
1:15 pm

As I folded the last bit of my husband's laundry, a sigh escaped my lips.

The strain from the past few days had taken a toll on me. Even though I was physically recovering, I still felt weak at every spot. My mind felt like it was at several places at once.

My decision to get back with Gautam had been an impulsive one, and yet, I felt myself oddly unburdened by its reprucusions. Since our talk, he had not posed any more problems for me or asked me to go back to Gurgaon with him. He was quite nice to me actually, much to Zoya's annoyance who still felt like it was all an act.

But I chose to disagree.

It seemed like Gautam was truly trying to redeem himself and I was gonna give him the chance to prove me right. If he truly meant it, I was okay with forgetting the past and moving on.

Because when had dwelling on the past ever done me any good?

As I tucked the clothes inside the closet drawer, the shrill ringtone of my phone echoed from the other side of the room. I sauntered towards the nightstand and picked it up.

An unknown number flashed on the screen.

My breath hitched in my throat. For a whole decade, the killer had only ever texted us cryptic messages. Not once had he made any calls whatsoever.

The thought soothed my mind for a split second. But still, with hesitance, I tapped on the answer button and put the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

Silence.

"Who is this? Hello?"

Silence again.

"If you think this is funny-"

"Hello, Saina."

Shivers ran down my spine. My hands trembled in place. The cold icy voice cut through my phone screen and pierced through my ears.

"W-who i-is this?"

"It's truly a shame that we haven't ever spoken to each other." The voice spoke. "This call is long overdue."