31. another love

Song of the chapter is
War of Hearts by Ruelle

-31-
-Himanshu Arora-
-Present-

-31--Himanshu Arora--Present-

______________

Arora Residence
24 November, 2030
7:01 pm

When did life become so complicated?

I thought as I watched my fiancee, the girl I was engaged to marry, pace around my living room, with a hint of anger evident on her features. As I watched her take yet another depressing sigh, I asked myself why I couldn't feel anything other than annoyance towards her at the moment.

How did I come to this?

I was simply a boy, with golden dreams and a tainted heart that only ever beat for one person. How had I let myself get tangled in this predicament?

"Are you gonna explain yourself or not?" The girl in front of me asked as she paused in her tracks and glared at me. With her hands on her hips and the sternest look on her face, she truly looked like my English teacher from third grade.

"What more is there to explain, Dhrashti?" I asked as calmly as one could. "I already told you everything-"

"How could you let that girl talk to me like that?!" She bellowed. "I don't deserve this, Himanshu. I don't deserve this disrespect that your friend gave me."

"Please Dhrashti.... whatever Zoya said, just.... don't take it to your heart." I shook my head slowly. "That's who she is. She stands up for things, especially her friends. You insulted her friend, she retorted back. That's all that happened."

She gaped, scoffing slightly.

"So you expect me to just swallow my pride and let that go?"

"No one's asking you to swallow your pride, Dhrashti. You got what you gave." I said, my annoyance visible in my tone. "So just let it go, okay?"

"Whatever I said about that other shady of 'friend' of yours was absolutely fucking correct, alright! There was nothing wrong with what I said about her being a fucking opportunist-"

"Dhrashti," I gave her a stern look. "Don't."

She held my gaze, her nose flaring and chest heaving. Standing up, I navigated my way across the room to my book shelf and started rearranging it, to take my mind off things. At this point, I just hoped she'd simply leave the room without saying anything more.