Smile! (Jeongmin)

It was Jeongin's first day of college. He was more than three hours away from his home on the campus. Jeongin had never dreamt of going to college in Seoul. He wanted to go to college in Busan, but his parents convinced him to go to Seoul. A lot of kids would be happy to live without their parents and siblings and they would enjoy the freedom. Well, Jeongin was different. This was one of his biggest nightmares. He was an introvert and now he was supposed to not just attend classes with people he didn't know, but he was also supposed to live with them on the campus.

His first night in his new room was terrible. He couldn't fall asleep because he was nervous and he would lie if he said he didn't cry. Jeongin hoped that he will get used to campus life soon. He didn't talk to his roommate at all and the other boy didn't even try to start a conversation. They greeted each other and soon after his roommate disappeared leaving Jeongin alone. He came back when Jeongin was already in his bed.

In the morning Jeongin took bus to school because he was too tired to walk. After he got into his new classroom, he sat down and lied his head on the desk.
Someone sat next to him, but the boy didn't care. He didn't want to talk to anyone.

A few days have passed and Jeongin didn't feel better at all. He seriously didn't understand what he was thinking when he agreed to go to Seoul. The worst thing about the whole situation was that it was his fault. If he could do it again he would do it differently. But this was a real life, not a story where he could erase pages and write them again.

When he came to the classroom, he noticed a note on his desk. He quickly grabed it hoping that no one saw him taking it.

Smile!

Nothing else was written on the little paper. He looked around but no one paid attention to him. Whoever put the note on his desk, Jeongin was really thankful. It made his heart flutter and after a few hard days full of tears, he finally smiled.

This was the first day when Jeongin didn't cry. When he felt sad, he looked at the note in his phonecase and it made him feel better. Even though he wanted to know who wrote it, there was no way he could find out. So he let it be.

Since that day, Jeongin found notes like this every day. One day it was on his desk, another day it was in his backpack and he even found it in the pocket of his jeans once. How couldn't he notice that? He didn't remember anyone touching his leg. The whole thing was a mystery for him.

,,Hi! You're new here, right?" some girl, who Jeongin never saw before, came to him while he was eating his lunch. At first he didn't know how to react but after a while he nodded: ,,Yes, I am."

,,Well, me and some of my classmates are inviting the new students to this address," she handed him a paper with some informations. He carefully took it and quickly looked at it before putting it on the table.

,,Is it a party?" he asked. Jeongin had never been to a party and he was absolutely okay with that. He didn't like crowded places, so he always skipped them.

,,I wouldn't call it a party. We just want to meet you guys, get to know you, eat some snacks and stuff like this. Don't worry," she smiled. ,,Hope to see you there!" the girl winked at him and left.

At first the boy didn't want to go. There will surely be a lot of people. But maybe it's a good opportunity for him to find at least one person to talk to. Not a friend but just someone so he won't be alone all the time.

,,Welcome!" a boy Jeongin saw a few times at school welcomed him. Jeongin came in still thinking, that it was not a good idea at all. He should have stayed at the campus. The smell of alcohol made him want to leave even more but it was too late for thoughts like this. He sighed and followed the boy to the living room.

One hour have passed since Jeongin entered the house and he was exhausted already. He was drinking only water from kitchen because he had never liked the taste of alcohol. So every time he was thirsty, he went to the kitchen and filled his cup himself. He didn't believe anyone in the house.

Jeongin sat on the sofa and closed his eyes for a few seconds. He didn't want to fall asleep in room full of drunk people.

,,You're not gonna drink?" the guy sitting next to him asked. Jeongin just shook his head.

,,And you?" he asked back.

,,No. I don't really like things like this."

,,Me neither," said Jeongin and looked at his cup.

,,Then why are you here?" the guy continued in the conversation.

,,I was just curious."

,,Okay," he nodded. ,,Wanna go somewhere else?"

,,Sure," Jeongin agreed. That guy was probably the only person who wasn't drunk except Jeongin. And he really didn't want to stay with the others. He believed, that the other won't hurt him in any way.

The guy took him to other room. They could still hear the noise from the living room but they couldn't care less. They sat on the bed which was definitely more comfortable than the one Jeongin had on the campus.

,,So, why you seem so sad all the time?" the boy spoke and looked at the younger.

,,I am not used to campus yet."

,,Oh, you live on the campus."

,,Yeah. I'm a bit homesick."

,,Why?"

,,New place, new people. It's hard."

,,You don't have any friends here? Like from school or from anywhere else?" the guy asked surprised.

,,No. I am not good in making friends."

,,I can be your first friend then!" he smiled widely. Jeongin nodded in agreement.

,,I am Seungmin," the other introduced himself.

,,Jeongin," the boy said happily. So finally he found someone to talk to. Maybe coming there wasn't that bad idea at all.

That night Jeongin and Seungmin talked a lot. The younger even told him about the notes he was getting every day. Then Seungmin walked Jeongin to the campus and with smiley face went home.

The boys became really close. They used to sleep at Seungmin's place and a few times slept at the campus where Jeongin lived. None of them complained about sleeping in one bed and for some unknown reason, Jeongin enjoyed it. It helped him relax more and fall asleep sooner. Seungmin gave him the comfort he needed.

The younger was still getting the little notes from the unknown person. He had so many of them, that they were almost everywhere. Jeongin had them in his phonecase, in his notebooks, wallet, books and who knows where else. But he didn't throw away any of them. Seungmin told him that he can try to help him find out who is giving them to him. They made a list of Jeongin's classmates and kept an eye on each of them. After a few weeks, all names were highlighted. None of them did it. Or at least the boys didn't have any proof it was one of them. Who could it be? That was the question they tried to answer.

Jeongin didn't even notice when he started enjoying his life on the campus. And it was all just thanks to Seungmin. But what he noticed was his weird feelings towards the older boy. Maybe they weren't the feelings you feel towards a friend. Maybe they were something more.

When the spring came, the two boys met at a nearby park. The sky was full of beautiful colors as the sun was setting down. They sat on the soft grass and talked to each other.

,,Why did you go to school in Seoul?" Seungmin asked.

,,My parents wanted me to find some friends and become more independent. They hated to see me alone all the time and they hoped that it will change. And actually, it did change. Thanks to you," he smiled at the older who put his arm around his shoulders. Jeongin moved closer to him and looked at the already dark sky full of little stars. Both of them stayed silent for a few minutes enjoying the company of the other boy.

,,Jeonginnie,"Seungmin broke the silence. The younger boy turned his head right and looked at him.

,,Smile!" he said loudly and Jeongin's eyes widened. The answer was Seungmin.