Deep end (Hyunjin solo)

PLEASE READ:
1. I was insisted on posting this story so after further thinking I decided to do so.
2. This story is not supposed to hurt or offend anyone.
3. Because I didn't want to give the role of the other person to anyone from SKZ (I called him XX), feel free to use any name (except for Hyunjin and Felix who are a part of the story).

⚠️ mentions of self harm ⚠️

It was a summer night. The sky was clear and hundreds of stars shone through the darkness, spilled around the entire heaven like small pearls. Citizens of the city were sound in sleep and the streets were illuminated only by the faint lights of streetlights. The roads were almost empty as everyone was already in the warmness of their homes. The slight summer breeze was wavering the leaves of the trees as it was making a perfect contrast to the hot weather during the July days.

However, in one room, the light still wasn't turned off. There, a boy at the age of 19 was sitting on a chair, with a brush in his hand as he was peacefully painting another of his works of art. His fingers were covered in thin layers of different paints just like the apron he was wearing. The movements of the brush were careful but precise, recreating the exact picture on the canvas as he had in mind.

In the background, quiet piano music was playing, mixing in with the silence, absorbing it completely. The song that was playing at that moment was One Summer's Day. There was no doubt that the boy's heart was at ease. The whole situation felt mesmerizing, unreal. He even doubted that it wasn't only a dream. Probably, he would have fallen for such a lie if there weren't so many things he had to go through just a few months ago.

A phone ringing interrupted the moment, cutting off the song. The male put the brush into a glass with water and stood up, making his way to his phone. Who could that be at such a late hour?

He wiped his fingers into the apron, still leaving them dirty as the paint got dry a long time ago.

,,Hello?" he answered the call with his knuckle and stuck it between his shoulder and ear.

,,Hyunjinie, are you still up?" his mom's voice resounded from the other side of the call.

,,Yeah, I was just finishing somethig," the boy responded. ,,How was the celebration?"

,,It was amazing. You should have gone with us," the woman sighed.

,,You know I don't like things like that," her son said, glancing at the almost finished painting. He loved it, to say the least.

,,Are you okay at home?" she asked concerned. Since what had happened a few months ago, the lady in her mid-forties hated leaving her son alone. When it came to that birthday celebration of her very good friend, she wanted to turn the invitation down. Hyunjin had to persuade her and his father that there was nothing to worry about.

,,Yes," he smiled at her concern.

,,You should go to sleep already. It's late," his mother surely smiled back. He heard it in her voice.

,,Yeah, I'll go," the boy nodded, not realizing that she couldn't see it.

After the call ended, he took the glass with all the used brushes and walked through the dark hall to the bathroom. He took his time to clean each and every one of them, not forgetting his hands at the very end. When everything was perfect he headed back to his room and put his things in the place where they belonged - brushes, glass, paints. The painting was moved on the stand to the corner of the room.

Not even thirty minutes from then, Hyunjin was lying in his bed, changing position every five minutes in order to fall asleep. He remembered. When did he think about it, about him for the last time? Two days ago? A week? Month? He couldn't recall the moment, so it had to be a long time ago. But still, he couldn't forget. Did he let go already? The boy had no idea.