The Incident

Another day of working around the museum. You don't necessarily dislike your job, but it can be quite monotonous. Usually you check in on multiple exhibits, and if you are not doing that, you're assigned to a tour, showing groups around. Other than that, you are always there to answer questions for guests. It's quite ironic; you know more about the exhibits here, than you know about your own history. 

Today, Peter, MJ, and Ned are in one of the groups of 10 students being given a tour. 

"This stuff is so cool!" Peter exclaims as they're walking around.

"I've seen better, but hey, it's a day out of school," MJ shrugs her shoulders in response.

"Check that out!" Ned says paying MJ no mind. He points up at a new display being put together.

One of the other tour guides is explaining to their group, "This is one of our newest projects, which should be completed at the end of the week."

You're listening in, mouthing the memorized words that every guide recites multiple times a day. It's almost like your favorite show or movie, where if one line is quoted, you can finish it. 

While the guide is explaining something else, your ears dial-in on the sounds of the exhibit being put together, metal, clanging, hammering, shuffling. 

That's something you've always been able to do, focus on certain sounds, blocking out the rest around you. It's been very helpful when watching movies, or when you simply want to shut out others talking.

Suddenly, one of the builder's voices speaks louder than the rest, "That doesn't go there! STOP!" He yells to the other worker.

Your head snaps in their direction immediately, and you see one of the pieces of the display begin to fall, which in turn, causes more to tumble as well.

Some students move out of the way, but the guide and a handful of students are still in the path of the crumbling exhibit.

"Watch out!" You run over, wave your arm, and a shield forms, blocking you and the group. 

You're out of breath, but the pieces from the display miss everyone when they fall. 

Most students just walk back to their group, but Peter, MJ, and Ned stare at you, mouths hanging open.

You clear your throat, "Uh, your group is leaving." 

None of them move, but Peter speaks, "What did you just do!? How did you make that shield thing?" His voice sounds impressed.

Your eyes widen, but you try to play this off. No one can know it was actually you. "What? Ohhhh, no. That was....an invisible display barrier." Sounds convincing, right? "Some of the best new technology. If something happens, it blocks it from the outside and inside."

MJ and Ned believe you and walk away, but Peter hangs back, "What kind of technology?" He questions suspiciously.

You shake your head, "I don't know. I'm...just a historian here." You fake laugh and shrug your shoulders. "Back to your group now," you see his nametag, "Parker."

Peter walks away as you get back to work, which also now involves cleaning up the display. You don't realize that once Peter is back with his group, he glances back at you, lost in thought, still not believing your explanation. Without a second thought, he texts Tony Stark.

--------------------------------------------------------

The next day, you go into work at the museum, and there's a letter on your desk. It reads:

Hello, Y/N,

Please attend a meeting this afternoon at Stark Tower. Mr. Stark himself will be awaiting your arrival. Just inform the front desk when you walk-in. 

Thank you, 

Ms. Pepper Potts

You sigh and debate just crunching up the paper and throwing it out. It would be simple to just pretend you never received it, yes? 

You've heard of Tony Stark; everyone has. It's no secret about him being Iron Man and a genius, albeit pompous about it.

The entire work day, and on the way to the tower, you're coming up with different excuses to cancel. Why does Tony Stark want to meet with you in the first place? No one knows about your....party tricks.

Just when you're ready to bail, your legs are carrying you into the compound. 

"You must be Y/N! I'm Pepper Potts," she greets you when you enter.

You shake her hand, "Yes. That's me." Pepper leads you to an elevator. "Do you happen to know why I'm here?" You ask once the doors close.

"That, is for Mr. Stark to tell you about," Pepper explains as the elevator dings and the doors open to a huge, open-concept living room and kitchen.

Pepper leaves as Tony comes up to you, "Ah, there you are. You must be Y/N."

"Mr. Stark," you nod your head once and smile lightly.

"Please, Tony is fine. Peter tells me you have..." Tony starts to say but your eyes widen.

You've walked into the room, and now you see Peter sitting on the couch, "YOU!" Your anger is about to boil over.

Peter stiffens and stands-up, "H-hi. Great to see yo...."

"Parker, right?" You turn to Tony. "Look, I don't know what he told you, but what he saw was an illusion, not...."

"Hey. Hey. Relax, kid," Tony says in a calming voice.

Peter has taken a few steps back from you, remaining silent.

Your breathing has increased, and you're furious, "No. I'm not discussing anything. There's nothing...going on. I'm leaving." You back away as you talk.

"You sure about that?" Tony and Peter look down at your hands, fisted at your sides, now glowing purple.

You look down at your hands, but quickly put them behind your back, "I was...painting earlier at the museum. It was a mess."

"Y/N, sit. I'll get you a drink and we can chat," Tony motions to the couch and walks to the bar.

You want to leave, but your body stays in one place, lost in thought.

Peter has slowly walked to you, "Please, just sit. I'm really sorry for snitching on you, but what you did was kind of amazing." He lightly smiles.

You reluctantly move to the couch and sit on your hands, but also smile at Peter's last sentence, visibly relaxing him and removing some of the tension in the room.