[ Chapter 1 ]

Content Warnings:

•Season 2/3/4 Spoilers
•Strong Language
•Violence
•Blood
•Injury

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Flashback

"Hurry up, Y/n! The sun is about to set!" Quincy called from the doors of the workshop. "I have to check my gear before we leave!" You responded and pulled out your ODM Gear you had hidden inside a missing parts crate. "There's no time for that, you should have done it earlier! C'mon, already!" Quincy ran out the door, not waiting for you. You sighed and buckled your things all together, chasing after him.

"How much longer until the sun is down?" You asked as you both sat on top of a church's bell tower. Quincy paused and watched the sun gradually make it's way behind the wall. It was hard telling when exactly it would kiss the horizon but the sun was fastest once it was in the final descent. "It should be totally dark in about thirty minutes but I don't think anyone will notice once the sun is completely down. They'll assume we're military or just not care enough to tell. How about fifteen more minutes?" He tightened a few more belts on his thighs that felt loose. "Yeah, sounds good." You agreed with his suggestion.

When the sun was gone and all the beautiful colors were stolen with it, the moon took over and was accompanied by her scatters of stars which sprinkled the once glowing sky. Your district fell silent, the only sound was the wind and the creatures of the night. A few civilians roamed the streets as they made their way home or into a bar. You only had to give your brother a glance to ask if he was ready. His response was a smirk and he raised his fists, holding the hand grips. You grinned to yourself and jumped over the edge of the tower, shooting your anchors into the closest building.

You heard Quincy follow after you, the sound of the wind whipped past your ears and blew through each strand of your hair (disregard if you don't show, have, or have very short hair). You both zipped through tight alleys, past sharp turns, then sprung yourselves high above the buildings. You and Quincy always played free-falling games to see who lasted the longest without deploying their anchors. Usually, he won but sometimes he let you win because he had an ounce of sympathy. He eventually caught up and turned his head to face you, to which you looked back at him and nodded. In unison, you both released the gas triggers to let yourselves fall. The weight of the ODM Gear pulled you back down to the surface below. It felt so peaceful up there. That's what freedom felt like.

The ground came faster as you both plummeted towards the hard dirt surface below. It would only be a matter of seconds until you were flattened upon the hard impact. You peeked at Quincy whose (color) hair was ruffled and blowing into his face as you both fell back-first. He looked over at you again and smiled like a douche, his eyes asking if you were about to give up. You weren't going to let him win.

3...

Your pupils narrowed on his hooded eyes, communicating back that you were in this as much as he was. He only smiled more, almost mocking you and attempted to make you second-guess yourself. You still wouldn't let it happen.

2...

You shut your eyes, the last thing you saw was the star-speckled sky. The most beautiful one you had ever seen. That could have been your last second in the world. You could have let yourself hit the ground. Would that make you the winner?