[ Chapter 20 ]

Content Warnings:

•Season 4 Part 2 Spoilers
•Mentions of Death
•Strong Language
•Narcissism
•Violence
•Fighting
•Blood
•Panic

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

This chapter is inspired by Joe Hisaishi's "Waltz of Chihiro."

Flashback

Your least favorite activity: socializing with Tamara. You despised the thought of sharing a room with her. It was hard enough to share a Wall with her. The moment she arrived at your house, you gagged at the thought of her looking at you. To say the least, she thought the same about you, as well. Although, to her, you were a pawn to turning your family against you. She had to play nice with you sometimes.

One of your worst arguments with her started from something you could hardly remember but maybe that was your mind trying to forget about it to cope? Either way, it seemed to come out of nowhere, which caught you off guard. You were young and vulnerable. Back then, you did not know how to deal with such a stubborn person. Looking back in hindsight, there was so much you wish you knew. You could have handled situations so much better but there was nothing you could do about it. All those fights taught you, made you stronger.

"I did give you a chance!" You argued with the petite strawberry-blonde. She had just cried to your father about a lie she made up about you. She claimed you were always closed-off and cold with her but that was far from the truth. You only recently discovered her antics, which led to you distancing yourself from her. Unfortunately, it looked like he believed her, too. How he chose her over you all the time? It was baffling. Yet, it still stung like a fresh wound every time.

"She's always calling me wicked and evil! You know I would never hurt her! I see her as my own daughter!" Tamara pleaded her case to your father as you three stood in the living room of your home. Although, she was sort of right about that one accusation. However, you mostly cursed about her under your breath or inside your head. Rarely, you belittled her to her face, like she always did to you.

When your father turned to face you, you would never forget the look of disappoint on his face. It had said "I raised you better than that." Did you really upset him? No, that was impossible. There was no way he actually believed her... right?

"She never gives me a chance! I'm trying so damn hard to be a good mother to her but she refuses to let me in!" The older woman continued her tangent as you started to shrink under your father's cold glare. Without a doubt, he succumbed to her nonsense, and was on the route to being turned against you. Was her influence the start of his lying?

Flashback End

Reiner was hesitant to join your bandwagon at first but after realizing Annie, Gabi and Falco were being serious, he ultimately gave in. At the end of the day, he wants to save Marley from the rumbling invasion, so he does not particularly care who his allies are right now.

Riding in the carts, you keep an eye out while Reiner sits in Armin's cart near Annie. Every so often, you feel his eyes burning the back of your head, without having to face him, yourself. Neither of you have properly met, the first ever encounter being when he, along with Bertholdt, revealed himself to be a Titan shifter. The thought of the other male makes your stomach queasy, eyes trying to focus on the passing scenery, however, Bertholdt overtakes your mind.