[ Chapter 23 ]

Content Warnings:

•Season 4 Part 2 Spoilers
•Racial Discrimination
•Mentions of Death
•Strong Language
•Hangover
•Drinking
•Choking
•Alcohol
•Vomit
•Panic
•War
•Fire

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

853

Flashback

A slow inhale filled your nose with new scents as you approached the port of an unfamiliar territory. Leaning forward against the ship's rail to get a better look, large buildings littered the coastline, much more colorful compared to your duller homes back inside the Walls. The place was far busier and populated, something you never could have imagined. Life seemed normal and unbothered on that side of the sea.

Gently sighing, you looked down at your (color) boots, partially covered by the modern trousers you wore. You were much more comfortable in the choice of trousers, considering your childhood wardrobe was mainly hand-me-downs from your brothers. It made your father's life easier since he never knew how to dress you properly.

There were many differences between your home and that place, down to the simplest of things like clothing. Which included a new (color) hat, similar to Sasha's (disregard if you already wear a head covering). Scuffing the heel of your boot against the floor, you lifted your head back up when you noticed how much closer you were to the dock. You felt a tad bit nervous, so you subconsciously fumbled with the sleeves of your matching (color) jacket to self-soothe.

Without warning, your present vision went blind and caused you to tightly grip your arms. Your heartbeat picked up and a small light began to flicker in the distance. Allowing your eyes to slowly adjust, the flickering light blossomed into a fire, which spread all around you. The growing flames reminded you of your situation with the Military Police and a slight panic built in your body. However, that was not just a memory.

Crackling and cries wailed in your ears, your hands shot up to cover them before you would go deaf. You crouched low as the smoke began to penetrate your clean airways but you immediately got shoved to the ground, seething from the rough scrape to your cheek. Shielding your head, you were trampled by fleeing bodies that tripped over you and stomped on your shrunken form. The roaring flames did not cease, they only grew stronger as the ground shook from crumbling buildings. Dust from the debris and smoke from the fires stole your breath to the point you were thrown out of your vision, and choking in the real world.

Hardly noticing you had escaped the mind-controlling vision, you felt a slap on your upper back, which caused you to jolt back up, and whip your head over your shoulder. A smirk was planted on the slapper's face, then slightly faltered when he noticed the tears in your red eyes. The taller/shorter/equally tall male's brows furrowed into a puzzled expression as he looked for an explanation. "What the hell was all that noise for?" He questioned, stood idly. You let out another cough to clear your hoarse throat before you fully turned around to face Jean. "I swallowed a bug." You answered with a lie and kept a straight face, even if it was red from nearly choking.

The sandy-brunette could not even pretend to hold back his bark of laughter, bent over at the waist from your stupidity. Neither did you pretend to be serious, as you allowed yourself to chuckle at his reaction to keep the atmosphere positive. "You're such an idiot, Y/n!" Jean teased before he fixed himself and wiped away a tear from laughing. With a grin, you nodded your head as you looked away in embarrassment. "Yeah, I know that." You released a heavy sigh. "Come on, let's go make fun of Conny now." Jean waved you over as a few more chuckles came out.