[ Chapter 6 ]

Content Warnings:

•Mentions of Death
•Season 3 Spoilers
•Strong Language
•Violence
•Blood
•Death
•Gore

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Flashback

You had begun to dread bedtime as every night, you would lose more and more sleep. The reason being, spirits would enter your room and feast on your energy, craving the taste of living again. Being so young and vulnerable, it gave them an advantage as you did not know what to do or how to handle it. So, you let them, without a second thought. It was much easier than ignoring them and trying to sleep through the disruptions. You would manage like you always did.

Eventually, your lack of rest became visible on your outward appearance. Others noticed but chose not to say anything, besides your father, of course. At first, he thought it was simply nightmares keeping you up but when you would tell him, he immediately made an excuse for it. Silly little spirits wouldn't keep you up because they didn't exist in the real world, according to him. Even with Dr. Yeager's diagnosis, he struggled to accept it because how was it even possible? Your father always downplayed his reactions, hardly coming to terms with you knowing about past relatives, yet, he didn't want anyone else to know about it. He was very confusing to you, not always believing you but also drilling in your head to keep your mouth shut. So, what did he believe?

Another sleepless night started when you laid in bed and stared at the ceiling until you got drowsy enough to doze off for a minute. Before you could completely fall asleep, the spirits forced themselves in and loomed about your bedroom. They danced around, relieved they could come back to the living world and pretend to be alive again. You simply watched them from your bed, bloodshot-red eyes transfixed on nothing in particular, zoned out. Voices whispered or screamed in your ears, not bothering you in the slightest. You were numb to it all, you didn't know whether you were fine or disappointed with being used to it. You only wanted to know when it would all end to save your last bit of sanity. Or were you ever sane to begin with?

Flashback End

Over the course of a few weeks, things had slowed down a bit. Apart from searching for Reiner and Bertholdt, the Scout Regiment had no other vital threats against them or civilization. Now, in a new, and temporary Scouts' Headquarters, you make your way to dinner. Upon entering the dimly-lit dining room, the fresh smell of carbs and spoiled soup fills your senses when you open the door. Nothing like expired nutrition. By the time you obtain your meal and scan the room for an open seat, you spot Sasha frantically waving her arms to gain your attention which doesn't take too long. Striding over to her table, you sit across from her along with the others you're familiar with.

"Thanks for letting me join." You bow your head slightly out of respect to the brunette with a ponytail, making her smile. "No biggie! I thought we should get to know you more since you still don't have any friends." The extroverted girl chuckles, causing Conny to snicker as well. "Yeah, true." You agree, not minding her pokey behavior. Before either of you can say anything else, Eren, Mikasa, and Armin sit down at the other end of the table as well. "Hey guys, hope you don't mind I invited the newbie." Sasha discloses right off the bat. "Hey, no worries." Armin smiles your direction, briefly turning his attention to Eren afterward who quietly converses with Mikasa, not minding your presence.