[ Chapter 22 ]

Content Warnings:

•Season 4 Part 2 Spoilers
•Mentions of Death
•Strong Language
•Violence
•Fighting
•Death
•Injury
•Blood
•Panic
•Guns
•Gore

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

Flashback

It was like any other day when it happened. Nothing could have prepared you or anyone for what came. There were only hours left in the day, so close to reaching another peaceful end. However, that was not the case one evening in Wall Maria.

"Hey, (nickname)." Quincy called as he left the back room of the shop, glancing over his shoulder. "Hey." Your eyes flickered up at your older brother as he approached you at the counter. "We should play free fall tonight." The (texture)-haired male placed his palms on the wood surface, staying close so your father wouldn't hear. Your gaze returned to the notepad beneath your hand, covered in scribbled numbers for orders you had to request for the shop's supplies. Not wanting to give an answer straight away, you sighed and found a compromise. "If you can help me finish this list, then we can." You held up the notepad to show him the current status of your list. With a hum, the older brother grasped the item to look it over. "You got a deal." He eventually nodded, then set it back down.

Later that evening, you had finished your chores for the day so you were able to get your ODM Gear out and ready. Luckily, your father had gone out on a last minute delivery. Knowing your brother would most likely get the address wrong, he decided to err on the side of caution.

With the shop to yourself, you closed early in order to prep your gear with your brother. You still had to wait until sundown to play but with the extra time, you could scout out new routes in the meantime. "Ready?" Your brother asked as he strapped his ODM Gear on. "Almost." You responded as you neared the end of your inspection. Then suddenly, something had caught your attention from the corner of your eye. You glanced to your right but saw nothing unusual at first. That was until the odd feeling wouldn't shake.

Before you had the chance to fasten your ODM Gear, you quickly stood up when you noticed whatever caused the shift in atmosphere. Quincy had approached from the side, ready to leap off but your left arm swung out in front of him. "Wait!" You shouted, eyes wide as they stared towards the Wall. "What is it, (nickname)?" The male furrowed his brows down at you in confusion. Your eyes did not dare to avert as they eventually glazed up towards the darkening sky. Quincy had caught on at that point but still waited for an explanation. In your eyes, what you could see of the horizon, was engulfed in baby blue fog, leisurely trailing up like smoke. You knew exactly what it was but why so much?

Then, the sound of multiple horses' hooves clicked on the path near the gate to the rest of Rose, which captured your attention. You threw your head to the side and gasped when you saw many wagons full of distraught citizens you had never seen before. That was all you needed before a flood of memories overtook your vision. All from their point of view. They were refugees from Shiganshina and Maria. All there because of a Titan invasion.

"We've gotta go help..." Was the last thing you whispered to your brother before ditching your ODM Gear on the roof to climb down and assist the fearful. "Y/n, hold on!" The older male called as he followed suit after he tore his gear off. "You're just a kid, how do you anticipate helping?" He questioned as soon as he caught up with you on your jog towards the gate. You did not think of a way besides showing up to find work but he had a point. You were young and would probably be shooed off. The most you could probably do was pass out food.