5 - Late nights

Camilla White

That woman was awful today.

Now, I know why Mrs Elizabeth couldn't stand her. 

Honestly, the Duke was composed and polite in comparison to his mother. Which is weird right? Usually, people take after their parents and he could have been just like his mother, but I guess he took after his father instead.

The late Duke was always kind to me when back when I was a kid, just as his son was. He's not mean to me now but he's retreated into a cold and closed off man, far away from the reality I was used to when we used to play together in the gardens of the Manor.

His soft features hardened into those of a strong man, even his gaze had changed but it still threw me off every time we locked eyes. They have been haunting me ever since I've seen him at the memorial, even more, after the Will reading and my mind has been reeling out of control since he arrived today.

His stance is dominant, confident and even though he always wears a serious expression he is kind. I've seen him be kind in the past, and I've seen it today when he cut his mom from her evil antics. That draws me in even more.

It draws me to a black hole because there's no way in hell anything good can come out of this pull that I feel.

I am a fly in his world, nothing but a mere servant and here I am letting my mind go wild with memories and thoughts of him. I need to get a grip but the fact that he is here, in the same house as me, throws me off completely. Makes it so much harder for me.

We're both physically close to each other and yet so far away. We share the space in the same house but we live worlds apart. 

The thought tugs at my heart, making me frown at myself in the dimly lit bedroom. I barely know this man but I can't seem to get him out of my head. Not for one goddamned minute.

Woof, Woof.

I turn to the side and squint my eyes to make out Primrose's silhouette in the corner of the room.

Woof, Woof.

She moves from her bed and I stand right away, scooping her into my arms and rushing outside to the orchard through the kitchen, to let her do her business.

The Duchess had been adamant to get a dog, even if she was already quite debilitated when she decided so, she said they made people healthier by keeping them company and giving them love. 

Now, I take it as a hidden plea for me to have something that still links me to her and my family, even after she left. And for that I am grateful. But sweet Primrose is still young, five months old, and still can't endure a full night without needing to go outside.

At least, she is a smartypants and started to ask to go outside. I didn't even need to teach her, it was automatic for her, associating going outside to doing her business. 

It's been helpful at the moment though, because it helps me keep her a secret and diminish the chances that she'll be taken away from me or that I'll be forced to choose between staying at the Manor or getting rid of her.

"Come one girl, be quick, we don't want anyone to see us," I whisper.

I am being silly, it's two in the morning and surely everyone's asleep but since it's the Duke's first night and I still don't know what his schedules are, it's better safe than sorry.

In a matter of ten minutes, Primrose is ready and starts to tease me, looking for some fun but unfortunately, I have to hush her when she lets out a couple of barks. Crouching down to her, she jumps onto my arms and I start to give her belly a few rubs.