31 - Early Christmas Gift

Camilla White

Edgar: He's been a miserable bastard these past weeks, sweetheart. You've got to come back soon otherwise I'll get my arse locked up for murder.

I can't help the smile that forces its way into my face at the sight of Edgar's text. It seems, he stole my number from Vincent's phone after a late-night call when he caught us up talking in his office. He stole Vincent's phone, talked to me and got the number for himself.

He's spent a lot of his time sending me texts and pictures or videos of a grumpy Vincent.

Camilla: Tomorrow I'll be there, once you and your mother leave.

The pictures have been quite funny. Once was Vincent grabbing Edgar's phone and throwing it at the couch after being teased about lonely he was feeling. Edgar is honestly the worst and most annoying brother one could have. But he is one funny and amazing friend.

Edgar: You wound me with those words, I'd like to think you miss me too. Not just the old grumpy Duke.

His answer is almost immediate and I can't help but chuckle.

"Who are you texting?" Rachel peeks from over my shoulder and I can't help but move to hide my phone.

Still, she sees the name on the app.

"Edgar Hawthorne?" She quirks an eyebrow, as she rounds the couch and sits next to me. "The Duke's little brother? Are you two a thing or what?"

I gasp, surprised at her bluntness. Tomorrow's the day I go back, and it's also Christmas day and her parents are coming to her house to spend the day with her. I told her I'd leave in the morning so she could have a family day but she refused. They want to know me.

"Edgar and I are very good friends but that's it. Platonic only," I answer, even though I don't need to give her any explanation. "Also, it'd be wrong, to get involved with my boss's brother."

I have to swallow to get those words out. What a hypocrite. Because I am doing more than wrong, I am not getting involved with Edgar, I am bedding my own boss.

"I wouldn't blame you girl, he is hot as hell," her gaze soften as she bumps my shoulder with hers. "However, I don't think the Duke would like the idea of you being around with his little brother much, either."

"Of course not," I try not to choke on my own words. "It's unprofessional."

"That's not why I think he wouldn't like but... Yeah, keep lying to yourself, sweetie."

What? Does she know anything? Impossible.

"What do you mean?"

"Didn't you notice how he looked at you at the after-party? I recognized him as your boss right away and girl... His gaze was heated, always expecting you to lock eyes with him. It was hot!"

"Oh my god Rachel," I panic. "It's not like-"

"Sweetie, I am your friend." Her arm wraps around me and I let myself melt into her side hug. . "My mouth is sealed. Whatever the hell is going on between you two is not my business. Just know you can trust me whenever you need."

Her words are so calming and good to hear. Should I trust her?

We sure had some good fun these past two weeks. She's taken me to see so many places of London that I hadn't been to yet, and others where we used to spend some time in, during college. To try and relive some of the old times. Gosh, this kind of speech makes me feel older than I already am.

But truth is that in the last couple of years I had to tend to Vincent's aunt, which definitely felt much longer than was. I feel like I aged a decade, even if I wouldn't change a thing.