29 - Unexpected Guests

Vincent Hawthorne 

"What are you doing here?" I ask my mother, who is standing in front of me, at the manor's receiving hall, surrounded by luggage and a sheepish Edgar behind her.

"I tried to stop her," he tries to explain but I ignore him, continuing to glare at her.

It's been two weeks since Thanksgiving and this morning, Camilla called me downstairs due to a "situation I had to deal with". Imagine my surprise arriving here to find my mum, my brother and all that she could bring from her house to... mine.

"Christmas is important and I want to be here at all times so I can organize every detail of it."

"I don't-"

"Are you throwing me out? You've been living here for a few months already. I miss my firstborn, can't I stay a couple of weeks to spend some good quality time with your family? I brought Edgar too!"

"And I told you it was a bad idea. I was more curious about watching him throw our arses out of this-"

"Edgar!"

"Fine," I sigh, exasperated.

I've been tired, honestly. Work has been more intense since the last holidays, starting to damn early and finishing up late at night. Sometimes I barely see Camilla.

Not that she seems bothered by it, which irks me more than it should in all reality. But I know that it is because she understands my responsibilities and how much work takes from my time. It has still put a strain on my mood.

"Excellent!" She clasps her hands together with a wide smile. "MAID!"

"No," I interject. "The employers have names and you shall call them by their first names. More, you're required to say please and thank you every single time."

She gasps, placing a hand on her chest, "Are you mad? It's their job!"

"Exactly," I answer. "They're not slaves and they're not inferior. They're people who work to gain a life and I want my employees treated with respect. Also, no one works in this house from 10 p.m to 7 a.m so don't bother. If you want something you'll have to get it during working hours or get it yourself."

"That's is rad," Edgar comments. "We should do the same Mum."

"As if," she scoffs. "Call that housekeeper of yours and tell her to get my luggage to my room."

Turning her back to us, she slowly saunters up the staircase with her back straight and stiff as a stone and head held high.

👑👑👑

Two days in and all I seem to be able to do is work. When not, my mother follows me around or watches me like a hawk. She's doing it on purpose to make sure I stay clear from Camilla, and it is keeping me on edge.

I've been holed up in here all day, in an attempt to avoid her completely. Unfortunately, that means I haven't even seen Camilla today. It's been a few hours since I dove into work. When I get focused and swamped with documents to confirm, balances to check or signatures to make, it can be hours until I remember I need to take a break.

There's a loud bang, startling me from my reading. The front door of my office slams into the wall after being opened harshly. I place the papers down on the desk and look at the person who just interrupted my working time.

"I am sorry for interrupting and I am sorry for skipping the formalities but I can't take this any longer," Camilla huffs.

"What?" I ask dumbfounded.