33 - I'll find a way

Camilla White

My heart is beating wildly, while my shaky hands are getting sweaty. If only I could press them against my thighs to get rid of it. This bloody dress and this bloody party. Why did I come here?

My mind is a jumbled mess, trying to find a reasonable enough explanation as to why we have the same mole shape. Probably just a coincidence. 

But is it? How much of a coincidence could it be that my boss' late husband has the same birthmark as I do? I have learned in this kind of society that nothing is done by chance.

This is just what I needed, on top of being at a party I don't belong to at all, where people keep giving me the stinky eye. They think I should consider myself lucky but how lucky can you be when you keep getting dragged into situations you want no part of? 

if I weren't such a soft-hearted person, who can't say no to people. None of this would be happening now. If just I could have kept that goddamned distance from the start and stayed in my rightful place...

I find myself snorting rather loudly in the empty hall. Even I don't believe I could have kept said distance. I mean... Could anyone? Doubtful. Certainly not with the amount of attraction and electricity that surrounds us every time we lock eyes.

This is such a big mess. With a sigh, I walk mindlessly through the big corridor. There's no way Mrs Elizabeth's husband could be related to me and have no one ever tell me. Could there?

When I get home I will rip that letter open once and for all. If there's... I can't even think about it. It can't be! But if there is a chance of... anything... I need to know.

"Pssst," I hear, someone call from behind me. 

Turning around, I get face to face with a wooden white door that suddenly opens. A strong arm sticks out, grabbing my wrist ad pulling me inside. I can only yelp from the scare of being dragged into a room with a stranger. My body relaxes only when I come face to face with two very familiar brown eyes. 

Vincent. Instantly, my heart warms at the sight of him. 

Ever since those two weeks apart, it seems as if he has a hard time staying away from me. There hasn't been a night we haven't spent together, with one of us sneaking out too early in the morning before others awake. Still, even Mariah has noticed how he requests my presence too often for even the little things that other staff members could easily solve.

Can't say I don't enjoy it though, I've become very much attached to him myself.

Wordlessly, his hands find my waist, bringing me close to him. His scent enters through my nostrils, warming my body up to the familiarity. For a small moment, we just bash in it. The comfort and intimacy that we always crave so much. 

"Did you enjoy the evening?" He breathes.

"I guess," I shrug. "These parties are overrated, though. It gets boring really quick." 

He agrees with a nod before continuing, "However, it couldn't have been that boring? I mean, you spoke to the King. He barely spares a minute to anyone." 

I stop for a second, thinking his words over. He did pay me a considerable amount of attention, after passing by many people with only just a nod. With dozens of people desperate for his attention... Why me?

Could it be because... No. Of course not.

"He was just intrigued at the new face, I am sure." I try to wave it off. "Or because he thought I was Edgar's new girlfriend."