26 - Crazy

Camilla White

My body stays frozen in place as his glare intensifies.

What should I do? Greet him as if I didn't know him? Greet him as if he is my boss? Or greet him as if I know who he is but don't know him personally?

Vincent keeps glaring instead of making the choice for me and helping me out. Fortunately, it's Rachel's voice who breaks the intense gaze locked between the both of us with a side curtsey and greets him, "Your Grace, what a pleasure."

He eyes her briefly before nodding and looking back at me.

It's only when a sharp elbow hits my side that I realize the amount of time we've been looking at each other. Everyone's eyes are on the both of us, baffled.

I am confused as well.

"Cami, huh?" He raises one eyebrow, making me gulp.

"Your Grace," I give in, bowing my head slightly.

He turns his head to Oscar and Charlie, not giving me any type of acknowledgement. It stings but on the other way, I also know he has chosen the path of not letting anyone else know we have ties biding us.

"Tell us, Charlie," Vincent drawls. "How did Cami break your heart?"

The saltiness in his voice irks me. Once again his jealousy and possessiveness are taking over. This is the reason why I wanted to stop whatever this is, and why we agreed he'd keep it under control.

"It's a long story," Charlie sighs and from the corner of my eye, I see Vincent's jaw twitch.

"Do tell, I have all night long," he comments, laying back on the couch as if he's making himself comfortable.

He looks at me for a single moment before looking back at Charlie and beckoning him to talk.

"Excuse me, but are you all going to talk about me as if I wasn't even in front of you all?"

"Oh? Do we have a spitfire here? You sure know how to choose 'em Charlie-boy!

Oscar smirks, making me blush, thankfully with how dark it is, it's barely noticeable. I squirm, trying to get rid of this feeling of being scrutinized by three men—or rather, by Vincent—but it's no use. He's watching me like a hawk and I can see his eyes zeroing in on every slight movement my body does, studying it. Analyzing it.

Nonetheless, I still defend myself, "No, you have a woman in front of you who will not admit to being talked about as if she were just a bug under your shoe." I make a point of looking at Vincent before looking back at Oscar and Charlie. "Nobility or not."

"Oh shit, I see it now." Oscar laughs. "Our mum would have hated you. You're too blunt to be a Lady—well, by her standards."

"Yeah," Charlie grumbles. "Exactly."

"Oh, now I finally know why you broke up with me, then." I snark back, feeling offended.

"What?" Oscar straightens up. "He told me you broke up with him?"

"Well, that's a lie then. But it's fine, in the end, it was the best thing he could ever have done for the both of us. It would never work out anyway. I wouldn't want to be a man who feels threatened and emasculated by my personality."

Charlie looks away, and if the lights would allow it, I am sure I'd be seeing his cheeks blushing furiously. Rachel elbows me and when I look at her questioningly, she bulges her eyes.

I don't know what she's trying to get at, but if it is for me to be submissive while "men will be men", I won't. Even if they are important people, and she knows it. Vincent surely does.