39 - Lawyer up

Camilla  White

"Welcome to my humble abode," Harry greets Edgar and me as we enter his apartment, with a bow. "It was the fastest way to receive you at two am."

We both nod in return, however at this point I question if that bow is still aimed at Edgar or me. The webs and lies of what these people made of my life, have led me to question everything and everyone.

"As you can imagine," I answer coldly, "I don't care. I am just glad you could make it work."

Edgar looks at me upon my attitude. If he knew, he'd think it got to my brain already. It hasn't, this is just the bitterness of someone who has been scorned. Still, this is better than staying cooped up in a hotel room, crying myself to sleep. This is being active and not letting anyone step on me. Ever again.

As we enter, I notice how his apartment isn't small or old. It probably comes with being the lawyer for some of the most important families in the realm. Walking across his sleek hall towards his office, I notice one of the far back wooden doors.

Harry reaches it first, opening it for us and it immediately feels like I am being transported to a different place. Unlike the sleek and modern apartment lies a chaotic and stuffed office. Tall stacks of papers are spread around the division, the biggest being over his desk.

"Sorry for the mess, I have been trying to reorganize. It's been a while since it has been done and I need to separate what's to keep or destroy," he chuckles embarrassed.

By my side, Edgar is still quiet but keeps looking around with a frown on his face, probably confused. I insisted he needn't come with, but still, he wouldn't leave. Let's hope by the end of the night, he hasn't regretted it. He's trying to understand, though. What it is that we're doing here at an ungodly hour after it took an hour to get a hold of Harry and another to find me a hotel so I could change clothes.

"It's alright," I answer. "Thank you for receiving us on such short notice."

He chuckles nervously, "You know I'd never refuse..." When we don't answer to his dragged silence after he adds, "Please, sit down."

"Thank you," I say.

We both sit down and while Harry looks for all of his paperwork regarding Ms Elizabeth - or well, me... Edgar finally can't hold it in any longer, "What's going on? Why are we here? Are you going to sue my brother?"

"No, You'll un-"

"He doesn't know?" Harry asks, surprised, cutting me off.

"No one knows," I remind him. "Only you did, apparently."

"I..." He stops himself, eyes casting down in shame.

He knew from the beginning when I went to his office on that dreadful Will reading day. He must have known from the beginning and he saw me that day, dreading losing my job and my entire life while knowing it was all meant to be mine instead. It's not I can really blame him for doing his job properly, but it stings.

He kept quiet. My late boss kept quiet. My own mother lied to me my whole life. Everyone betrayed my trust, no exceptions. Everything I held dear and loved was a lie. If this is love then... I'm better off without.

With a resigned sigh, I speak, "He'll understand in no time, just get on with it."

"There are two ways we can tackle this... if you are to go through..." Harry's voice is tentative.

There's a dragged silence as he steals a glance at a - still - confused Edgar, still with that weary expression on his face.

"Which are..." I insist when he doesn't continue.