24

Louis sits calmly at his desk writing lyrics for the first time in months, correcting previous songs and humming new melodies in his head. His guitar rests on his knee as his back stays hunched over the small desk in the hotel room. After meeting with Zayn a few days ago, Louis feels inspired. Whether it has to do with the interesting personality Zayn has, or the fact Louis got to lay out his problems for the first time and think about them seriously. Louis has a headful of poetry he needs to get out.

He's written about 6 concepts for possible songs. Whether it's a melody from the guitar or lyrics that pop into his head, he's focused incredibly on the task. So focused that he doesn't notice a knocking at the door. His fingers work delicately on the fretboard, pressing his index finger firmly to a string on the second fret, and moving it down slowly to the third, fourth then fifth fret. The knock on the door is louder now and he glances to the front of the room.

His heart rate quickens even though it shouldn't. There's nothing that could possibly harm him, but yet he still finds himself jumpy. He used to be frightened that the person who assaulted him had come back but, now knowing that it was Liam, he didn't really have anything to be scared of anymore. But for some reason, his brain still refuses to believe it's Liam.

"Come in!" Louis calls out, "It's unlocked."

The door handle turns and as it opens a familiar face pops around the corner. Zayn's smile is sweet and he slowly slips in the door.

"Hi," He says quietly, "sorry if I interrupted you."

Louis brushes him off by waving his hand.

"No, of course not," He says looking back down to the sheets of paper before him. He covers the already written lyrics with other sheets of paper- hiding the emotions he had displayed, "just writing."

"That's lovely," Zayn says walking over to him, "May I read some?"

Louis makes a strange noise, thinking about it.

"They aren't really ready yet." He says shyly.

Zayn nods.

"That's okay," He smiles, "How are you enjoying Toronto?"

Louis looks up and out of the large hotel window, looking over all the towering skyscrapers and peaceful buildings- the sun shines through the windows and drowning the lower buildings in liquid wealds of light.

"It's nice," He simply says, "but nothing will ever beat Doncaster."

They both chuckle, Louis' hometown compared to the massive buildings is humorous to them.

"What are you talking about?" Zayn laughs leaning against the desk Louis is writing on, "Bradford is where it's at."

Louis rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

"Should've guessed you're from Bradford," Louis shakes his head taking the fret of his guitar to place it down gently next to the table, "accent should've rung a bell."

Zayn leans his leg against the desk and crosses his arms over his chest.

"I've sort of lost it over the years, guess it just has to do with travelling all over the place."

Louis nods and rests his elbow on the table.

"I always tried hard to keep my accent," Louis grins staring out at the skyscrapers, "something so special about coming home and it getting stronger."

Zayn nods and smiles keeping a comfortable silence throughout the conversation.

"You see your mum often?" Zayn asks quietly.