CHAPTER NINETEEN

JENNIE

I went to the guitar shop first before going to school. The saleslady called me yesterday and said that my guitar was finished and ready to pick up. Taehyung also called and told me that we'll get it together but I told him not to since I'm with my dad.

"It's cute," Lisa said and caressed my newly bought guitar. It was the same as I imagine, black and has my name on the side. Now, I can finish the song that I've been writing for almost one week.

"But you don't know how to play right?" Lisa furrowed her eyebrows.

"I know the basic chords, don't worry. And I'll ask dad to hire someone to teach me," I said, and she looked at me with a cheeky expression. "What?"

"You're spending too much time with Taehyung, are you two dating?" Lisa nudged me and pinched the bridge of my nose.

"What are you saying? He's just a friend, stop being cheeky." I pushed her hand away from me, but she hugged me tightly.

"I think he's into you, don't forget about me when you married him, huh?" Lisa pouted and I flicked her forehead for overreacting again.

After the break, Taehyung saw me carrying the guitar and he helped me right away. He smiled at me and handed me a watermelon tea. I didn't know where he got this, but for sure this wasn't from the cafeteria.

"Trying to destroy my vocal cords?" I asked, and then chuckled.

"It's not cold though, mom made that especially for you." He winked at me.

We started walking down the corridor and went to their practice room. I don't have a place where I can play the guitar that's why I'm going to share a room with them. Besides, if I play in our classroom the boys will listen and it will be very awkward for me.

"You're such a fast learner," Taehyung commented when he heard me strum the guitar expertly. "What song is that?" he asked.

"I'm composing a song, is it fine? Or a bit boring?" I asked, but he shook his head.

"It's fine, but it's..." I looked at him waiting for his answer. "...sad. Are you broken?" He chuckled, causing my eyes to roll.

"I love sweet melodies, you know? They are so relaxing and it gives me peace of mind. Unlike you, you always bully me!" I exclaimed, but he just gave me a fake smile.

The sudden silence that fell upon us made the atmosphere subtle. I don't know what to say or do right now. Everything was silent, and I know that I should speak for the sake of my being but no right words came out of my mouth.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" he asked as he looked on the floor.

"About what?" I asked, trying to sound innocent.

I don't know what he found out, but I hope it's not about my disease. It'll only give him a hard time to accept it. I'm not planning on telling him about it until my last day, I want to keep it private and let them take care of me while I'm still alive.

"Nothing, don't mind me." He wiped the tears on his eyes using the back of his hand and turned back on me.

"When did you found out?" I asked.

"It doesn't matter." He was about to leave the practice when I ran towards him and hugged him from behind.

Taehyung is my most special friend right now, who sacrificed the thing he loves the most just to save me. He's always there for me when I needed him the most. He's the person who never judged me despite my bad character. He's the perfect guy that I didn't deserve.

"I don't want any special treatment coming from the students, especially to you. I want to live a normal life as everyone does. I want to be free and decide for myself without anyone in my surroundings worrying. I want to be the Jennie Kim that I saw in my mirror every day," I said without breaking the hug.

Taehyung held my hands on his stomach and looked above, holding back his tears from falling again.

"Do you know when Chaeyoung died, I kept on telling myself that I would not care for any girl again because I'm afraid that they would leave me as she did, She left me and I couldn't even stop her from leaving. I couldn't do anything to make her stay." He turned to me as the tears rolled down his cheeks. "Then you came, you gave me hope and enliven my dreams again. I thought I can love you without worries then I saw your notebook..."

"You read my notebook?" I asked.

"Tell me, Jennie Kim. How to unlove you? How to bring back the past where I'm not interested in you and I don't care about you." He knelt in front of me as he sobbed.

This is the first time I saw a man crying over me because he was afraid of losing me. This is the first time I saw someone that cares about me, aside from my family.

"If you don't know the answer to those questions, then maybe you can answer this." He looked at me with sad eyes. "How to make you genuinely happy?"