Chapter 22 - Ferris wheel ride

There are many POV's in this chapter, I hope it's not a problem and not confusing, but it's required sometimes.

****************

"How puzzlingly fitting one can be, a couple of opposites. She was loud and fiery; he was quiet and cold. She always defended him verbally; he always defended her physically."

****************

Nikolas's POV

He threw his words proudly, the smug look in his eyes proved to me he is hiding something; that one single thing which I can't put my finger on, the missing unknown in the equation, the one that could finally give me the upper hand over him.

His eyes drifted to Natalie, one last time before they fell on me again, in his gaze a warning and a threat to get away from her or else. My jaw tightened, my unwavering gaze telling him I am no way near submitting to his orders. His lips twitched, hiding his sadistic smile before he ended it there and turned around, leaving, followed by his men and I tightened my arm around Emma, feeling her determination to break free and run after him.

A groan rumbled from her throat and when I was sure he's gone, I loosened my grip, finally letting her go. Her chest heaved with each angry breath she took, the rage pushing in and out, spreading like wildfire over the skin of her neck and painting it red, "He should die," She grated out, her eyes on me, seeking something, "We should kill him, Nikolas, I can't take it anymore!"

I nodded, "We will," I assured her, "But we need to be careful, Emma," I added, reminding her that we can't just shoot him in plain sight; there are way too many lives at risk if we do so. I can't hurry into this, I can't lose my patience again. I need to follow the plan, step by step, with every factor calculated, just like I once did.

Emma's jaw clenched, her gaze drifting away from me and her hand tightening into a fist, grasping on the fringes of control because she knew I was right, yet still hated the fact. Roman was beside her, he took my place, talking with her and I stepped backward, my gaze going to Natalie, who despite what just happened, didn't look the least scared.

She walked closer, reaching my side and her hand came forward, her fingers wrapping over mine, she tightened her grip the slightest, drifting my mind away from the fact that he just dropped by my house, threatened me yet again and left, "I knew I hated the man before," She mumbled, her eyebrow raising, "But in reality he is something else alright."

Lines etched her forehead, "Also, who gave him the right to push me to leave you?" She added, both offended and confused at his interference.

I shook my head, dismissing the thought for now, "Never mind him," My hand went to the side of her waist, pulling her closer, "But you gonna need to control that mouth of yours," My eyebrow raised, addressing how she talked back to him without any regard to anything. The fucked up part, he was just amused in return. All these damn years and I can't fucking understand him still.

A small smile pulled at the side of Natalie's lips and she shook her head, "I couldn't help it," She said, her hands going to my shirt, fixing the collar, ever so casually, "Also, no one can tell me what I should or shouldn't do," She tapped her hand over my shoulder, "Not even that evil father of yours."

Lines etched between my eyebrows, her calm casual reaction toward this and just everything in general, it both relaxed but also confused me beyond measures. She did say her mind was strong; a hundred times stronger than mine apparently.