Chapter 5 - Promise? Promise

Nikolas's POV

From the moment I knew he came into this life, I was fully aware of the fact that I am no way near ready to see him.

I didn't want to. I just can't.

But now, as my eyes fell onto his little body all tucked up to hers, I just wished, if only for a fleeting second, she'd turn him around and I can get the chance to finally see his face.

The thought alone had anxiety gripping me by the throat. My heart was beating so fucking hard I was sure it was going to hammer right through my chest.

"What are you doing here?" Were the first words leaving Cara's mouth, her jaw tightened and the fear in her eyes got replaced by something so fierce as her hand protectively hovered over his frail small body, as if scared I may just snatch him away.

Does she not know that I'd never do that?

That if I wanted to, I would've done it a long time ago.

That I can't even master the courage to look at his face, or into his eyes. Because I know, I am sure, that hell would break loose after. It could either remind me of everything and make me hate myself even more or...or the monster in me would wake up after so long and he'd decide to take him away from her. I was more terrified of the latter.

I shook my head, "I had no idea you'd be here," I said, my eyes finally leaving his little body and drifting to her, "This is just a very unfortunate coincidence."

Her jaw ticked, "I learned that with you, there's nothing called a coincidence."

Before I could say a thing, Natalie was the one interrupting, "Uh- I am pretty sure it's a coincidence, because," Her words took Cara's attention away from me, "Because I am the one who picked the restaurant," She smiled, ever so sweetly, "And I really have no idea who you are."

My eyes fell on her, confusion tightened my brows at her lie, "Saved your ass." She mumbled lowly under her breath, only for me to hear.

Cara's eyebrows pulled closer, it was almost like she didn't notice Natalie's presence up till she talked. Her gaze fell on her face, assessing her words carefully before they dropped down to her waist, to my hand that I forgot was still there, plastering her side up against mine.

I came back to my senses, and for some reason, I pulled my hand away, releasing Natalie from my tight grip.

On the outside, it looked obvious enough that Natalie and I are on a date here. For some fucked up, twisted reason, I didn't want to give that impression. I didn't want her to think that after everything, I just went back to a somehow normal life. That after hurting her...in that way and in every other way, and after hurting all those around her, I just returned back, living life, going on dates...because that has no relation or whatsoever with how my life has been since that day.

Cara's eyes went to Katherine, "Let's go," She said, more than ready to get out of here and away from me.

Wait. I wanted to say. Just let me see him. My heart begged me to let those words out. But, I couldn't. I shouldn't.

With her arms still wrapped over him, I stole one last glance as she passed by us. She paused to a stop by Natalie's side, her eyes fell on her, they were genuine in a way, "Just a friendly advise," She said, her voice low but clear enough for me to hear, "Stay as far as you can from him."

Confusion at her choice of words emanated from Natalie in waves, her eyebrows pulled closer assessing them, while Cara's eyes went to me one last time, her hand hovered over the little boy's neck, in her gaze there was a warning as well, to stay as far as I can from her and...him.